limit to the number of objects?
All  1-4  5-9

Previous
Next
4886.5 In reply to 4886.1 
Hi cx, there is no built in limit to the number of objects - but things may certainly bog down when you're creating an object which has a lot of complexity to it like this one - you've got over 1000 curves there for Extrude to process and it has to do things like analyze all those curves for how they relate to each other to figure out which ones are the outer ones and which ones are the inner ones.

It looks like in your last post you have been able to complete the extrusion?

> This is I want to get, it's not extrude all objects at once, after a
> lot of times Boolean,Boolean operations each time is very long.
> And the file size is large, such a simple model takes up 35MB of space!

That's not an especially large file size - that's definitely around what I would expect for a model with the kind of complexity that you have here with some thousands of curves involved in it.

I would not describe what you have here as "simple" at all - any thing where you're processing thousands of curves in order to construct it is definitely beyond the category of "simple".

> I have very good hardware, encountered such a problem, does not
> reflect the speed it should have, MoI addition to the output when
> the polygon can be multi-threaded computing, other times are
> single-threaded single-core.

It tends to be easier to make things use multiple cores when they are able to be processed in isolation from one another.

In your case here you're trying to build this all out of just 1 single object that is all connected together - that involves interaction between all the different pieces and tightly coupled interaction is the opposite of isolation and so does not lend itself to multi-core processing as well.

Is it possible for you to build this object in some kind of sections instead of all as one single big object? That could make things easier - it looks like there is some possibility to construct just one slice of the object and then repeat that piece.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4886.6 In reply to 4886.1 
Hi cx - I've attached a version of the model which is a more simplified slice, like this:

This is actually still not exactly "simple" itself, there is still 526 different individual segments in there, and when you extrude it, it will generate a solid result with 528 faces and 1578 edges in it, which is not exactly a small number of components.

But it is a lot less faces and edges than trying to do the whole larger thing all in one single go like you were doing before - the extrusion on this slice version should be a lot better behaved.

Then after you have done the extrusion you can use Transform > Array > Dir to replicate the slice.

You may want to delete the outer side walls of the extruded slice so that after you replicate the pieces they are all ready to be joined to one another without any internal side walls needing to be processed.

If you construct your object in this way it should only take a couple of minutes to build it and you will not likely need to wait anywhere near as long for calculations as compared to trying to do the whole thing as one single enormous extrude.

Hope this helps!

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4886.7 In reply to 4886.6 
Hi

Don't know if this will be of much help, but I had to get a similar result, what I did was first extrude my base plate to the size I wanted, then made the hex solid and used it has a cutting die with Boolean -> diff , , with the copy functions, it only took a few minutes to layout all the hex solids, then I boolean-diffed a few rows at a time.

Cheers, Steve
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Michael, this reminds me of a feature request :D

Would it be possible to replace the "Calculating..." text with a progress bar?

It would be very handy :)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
4886.9 In reply to 4886.8 
Hi NightCabbage,

> Would it be possible to replace the "Calculating..." text with
> a progress bar?

For which particular commands? Unfortunately for many commands it would be quite difficult to make a very accurate progress bar. Some things calculate things in an iterative manner until they reach a good enough accuracy - I don't really know before hand how many iterations they are going to take.

It's hard to make a progress bar work when there is not really a fixed number of steps involved with the operation.

I do want to add progress bars into more places in the future though, especially for file loading.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-4  5-9