Help with flow.

Next
Hi All

Flow is something I can see my self using a lot, but I think I'm to new to MoI to work out how to use it.

Can someone please provide me with some newbie instruction on how to flow some text on to the shield object in this file.

Cheers, Steve
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4885.2 In reply to 4885.1 
Deleted poor answer :-)

EDITED: 2 Feb 2012 by BEMFARMER

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4885.3 In reply to 4885.1 
Hi Steve, Flow works by remapping things from a base surface (or base curve for curve-to-curve flow) to a target surface.

Right now you have the text that you want to deform but no base plane under it - so the first thing you want to do is to create a base plane right under your text. The easiest tool to do that is to use Draw solid > Plane.

So make a plane that's positioned under your text like so:

Note that if you want to boolean the text you should probably make the base plane pushed slightly in so the text sticks a little bit out the back of it instead of trying to make it rest exactly on the end of the text. That will also make the end result sunk down a bit into the target surface which is better for booleans - it's harder for the booleans to process stuff that barely skims along each other. It's better when the objects punch through each other at least a little bit instead of just skim.

Now select just the text and not the base plane, and then run the Transform > Deform > Flow command.

The prompt will say "Select base curve or surface" - now select the base plane.

Now the tricky part - there are some different modes to flow and the default mode works kind of more like applying a texture that follows the UV space of the target - you have a revolved surface as the target and if you use that mode it will make your object kind of circle around to basically follow the way the control points of that revolved surface are arranged. But in your case here I think you want to apply the text more like you are beaming a decal on to the object, is that correct?

So for that kind of "decal apply" type operation you need to turn on the "Projective" option for Flow - that's a checkbox that will be shown right at this pick target stage of the command up here:

So turn on that projective mode checkbox and then pick your target object and it will make this result:

For the default non-projective mode it would work more like this:

So note there how with non-projective mode the radial structure of the target surface plays a big role in the result.

With non-projective mode you don't have to set the objects up in front of the other surface, it only matters how they relate to the base plane and then it takes that relation and places it in the same spot in UV space in the target surface.

With projective mode on the other hand, you do want to position the objects in front of the place you want to beam them on to.

Hope this helps!

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4885.4 In reply to 4885.3 
Thanks, Michael and bemfarmer

bemfarmer, I saw you post on the way into work, (I have an 50min train trip, so I do a bit of modelling on the train), set up has you suggested and then realized I only have a trial of V2 ,no Flow :(

At home I have a OSX, I have to wait till I get home.

when I realized I did not have V3, I played a bit with curve-projection, realized I might be able to do what I wanted with , curve -> project then an extrude . just have to workout how to add a endcap.... But flow looks miles easier and could be the right solution for a few other models Im working on :)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4885.5 In reply to 4885.4 
Hi Steve,

> I played a bit with curve-projection, realized I might be
> able to do what I wanted with , curve -> project then an
> extrude . just have to workout how to add a endcap....

For that method, it's usually best to actually make a cap surface first, which you do by using Trim. Then once you have a small surface piece that has the outline you need you can then use Extrude on that surface to build the solid, or you can use Shell too.

See this previous post for an example:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=4791.13

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4885.6 In reply to 4885.5 
cool, more things to try on the way home tonight ;)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
4885.7 In reply to 4885.5 
Hi Michael

Cool, that trim works, what I did has a test, I used Curve-project to project some letter onto shield, then extruded them, then hide them, then I used trim on the projected curve to cut out end cap, brought back the extruded letter, then fitted the end cap, joined them up, then joined them back to the shield. all back to a solid :)

cheers, steve

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All