Pulling my hair out, problem using Boolean Diff

Next
Hi All

Quick over view:
trying to modal a chess board, it's 284mmx284mmx10mm, it has a 10mm board and 33mm squares.
I want to have all "black" square recessed 0.7mm.

So here is wat I did.
First I made the base board via a cube, entering the dimensions, no extruding or resizing.
then I made up a 33mmx33mmx2mm solid has a die. I place this so it sat .7mm into the base board, run a boolean->Diff , with option remove unchecked, when I take away the die, I'm left with a nice .7mm recess has expected.

So I layout the 31 other dies, I remove 7 other dies no problem, but after that when I try to Bool-Diff more dies, it's removing the face of the base board and I can "see" inside the board instead of leaving a recess. I don't know what's going on, what cause a solid to be come hollow?
I restarted the model 3 times but the same thing keeps happening, so clearly I'm doing something wrong, but have no idea what it is.

I've attached my model, if some could please have a look? I'm trying to diff out the red squares and then hollow out the material underneath

Thanks Steve
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4878.2 In reply to 4878.1 
Hi Steve - so your main base piece has become a "Joined srf" instead of a fully closed solid - it has some openings in it and booleans will behave differently when done on an open surface object instead of a closed volume.

You can see whether an object is a solid or not by selecting it and then looking at the type indicator which shows up in the properties panel in the upper right area of the model.

I suspect that your problems are coming from having 2 cut out areas just kind of exactly graze each other along a shared edge in these areas here:

By having those 2 adjacent recessed areas exactly graze each other at a shared edge like that, it would basically require that one edge there to be shared by 4 neighboring surfaces instead of only being shared between 2 adjacent surfaces. That's called a "non-manifold" edge and MoI tries to avoid making those kind of edges - when a boolean result would cause a non-manifold edge it tries to go through the model and decompose it into different separate chunks so that there are not any non-manifold edges in it anymore - it's that process that is likely causing you problems.

It's usually best to avoid creating things that exactly graze each other in such a way to make that kind of non-manifold situation - is it possible for you to slightly shrink the cut out area so that there will be a tiny bit of area between the corners of the 2 recessed spots?

You might kind of think about the current exactly abutting recessed areas as having created a zero width area of the model (at the shared edge) and that's what you will probably need to avoid to make it work well.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4878.3 In reply to 4878.2 
Or I guess the other way you could do it would be to make the recessed areas slightly larger so there was a little bit of open space there where their corners run into each other rather than each corner touching the other right along a single edge.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4878.4 In reply to 4878.2 
thanks , Michael

I'm working in mm how small a gap can I make, would .01 mm work?

Cheers, Steve
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4878.5 In reply to 4878.4 
Hi Steve,

> I'm working in mm how small a gap can I make, would .01 mm work?

Yeah that should likely be ok.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
4878.6 In reply to 4878.5 
making sure there where gaps between object did the job.
thanks. Michael.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All