obj export and naming

Next
I have a .stp file that I imported into MOI that has multiple objects with the exact same name. When exporting them as an .obj the same name object are connected together.

I have tried changing the "combine same named objects" checkbox in MOI's option but get the same results.

When I select all of the objects and delete their names I am successful in exporting separate objects.

Am I doing something wrong or is the unchecking the "combine same named objects" option not functioning?

Thanks,

-Shane
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4858.2 In reply to 4858.1 
Hi Shane, as far as I know the "combine same named objects" option in Moi is working properly.

But some programs that you import into decide on their own to combine objects of the same name together into the same mesh object.

If that's what you are running into then changing the setting in MoI would not look like it had any effect since the importing program is doing the combining itself at the import step.

Try looking for some option in the receiving program to turn off that combining.

Also see this previous thread for some more discussion on this:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=4709.1

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4858.3 In reply to 4858.1 
There's also a script here which you can use to auto-rename objects in MoI to have separate names:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=3114.5

To run that script set up a new keyboard shortcut and paste the script in, then you can trigger it with the shortcut key.

Also if you select all the objects with the same name and assign them a blank name that will remove the name, and objects with no name assigned to them will get labeled with separate cooked up names like "object1", "object2", etc... when you export to OBJ.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4858.4 In reply to 4858.3 
Thanks Michael, I'm using Cinema 4d so looks like it is doing the connecting. It's not a problem for me to just delete the names. I'll also give the script a go.

Thanks,

-Shane
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
4858.5 In reply to 4858.4 
Yeah C4D is the problem here. You could try to use the riptide plugin to import to C4D. As far as I know will this plugin do the job.

Peace,
Rich_Art. ;-)

| C4DLounge.eu | Our Dutch/Belgium C4D forum. |
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All