Math input
All  1  2-5

Previous
Next
4842.2 In reply to 4842.1 
Hi Danny - that happens because that is an integer input field and not just a regular floating point number field like a length or coordinate value.

Integer fields do not currently get math expressions evaluated for them, but I suppose it would be possible to change that.

The problem with it though is what if you type in an expression that does not result in an integer value, should it just not be accepted or should it be rounded or what?

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4842.3 In reply to 4842.2 
Hi Michael,

> The problem with it though is what if you type in an
> expression that does not result in an integer value,
> should it just not be accepted or should it be rounded or what?

Good question you ask ;) when I first saw the question I thought something like 360/7 would show the sum 51.43 and not do anything, but after I tried it out on other cad packages it actually rounds off to the closest whole number so I guess that would be the way, but then I'd like to see what the number was so I could see that the number I chose wouldn't divide into 360 evenly...........confused :s

The reason behind this was I wanted to array a line around it's end point at 5° increments within the 360° hence the 360/5 which gives you 72 lines (spokes).

-
~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4842.4 In reply to 4842.3 
Hi Danny,

> when I first saw the question I thought something like 360/7 would
> show the sum 51.43 and not do anything,

I think that seems a bit more safe than just automatically rounding the value...

If it works this way, it's not really difficult to get the rounded value after that, you'll be able to do something like just put focus in there and delete the fractional part and then push Enter to get that.

But on the other hand if it's rounded automatically I can't see how you would be able to know that your calculation did not actually result in a whole number.

So I'll give it a try that way - I've added this to my list of stuff to work on.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
4842.5 In reply to 4842.4 
Thanks Michael.

-