3dmCurves2DXF and curves

Next
Hi Michael,

I've been using 3dmCurves2DXF to generate input files to be used by VCarvePro. When I input the files, they seem to be made up of all straight line segments. Curves like circles appear to be approximated with very short straight line segments. Is this true? When I generate the gcode in VCP, it comes out that way. VCP has a curve-fitting function. If I apply it to curves in my DXF file, then VCP generates gcode that uses gcode curve-cutting instructions. This code is much shorter and runs much faster than the code generated without doing a curve-fitting. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to be as accurate. Circles come out slightly oblong.
I just wanted to know if 3dmCurves2DXF generates all straight line segments or actual curves. (I don't even know if DXF supports actual curves.) If it doesn't generate curves, is there a way to make it do so?

Thanks,
Mark
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4832.2 In reply to 4832.1 
Hi Mark - 3dmCurves2DXF outputs a DXF "SPLINE" entity for each curve, so the DXF file will contain the same kind of curves as your 3DM file.

The 3dmCurves2DXF translator does not dice things up into line segments itself - if you're getting a diced result like that then I guess that's something that VCarve Pro is deciding to do when they read the SPLINE entity from the DXF file.

You might look to see if there are any file import options in VCarvePro where you could adjust settings for how it goes about that.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
4832.3 In reply to 4832.2 
Hi Mark,

I'm not sure if this is related, but I had a similar situation a while back. This thread contains some additional info and work-arounds:

http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=3635.1

Regards,
Steve
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All