3dconnexion device

Next
Hi Michael,
With the Space navigator and the latest drivers, Viewport operation is normal if using split screen mode. However, any Single viewport selection creates jaggedy movement if you move the mouse cursor in the viewport while using the space navigator.

I hadnt confirmed this with older drivers so dont know if it's the newest drivers, or something to be looked at in MoI.

Any other 3dConnexion users to confirm?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4815.2 In reply to 4815.1 
Hi Burr,

> I hadnt confirmed this with older drivers so dont know if
> it's the newest drivers, or something to be looked at in MoI.

Hi Burr, that's seem to be a problem from the earliest drivers with their newer API that MoI uses.

I don't really know what I could do about it to fix it up, it seems to be that their newer API does not generate a stream of events as quickly as their older API can actually handle.

Maybe at some point I could look into using their old API instead of their newer one to see if it would help solve it, but I'm not sure when I'd be able to do that - one of the pluses of the new one is that it was kind of easier to hook up and to use than their older one.

But anyway that's probably not related to a newer driver, it seems to have been an issue with their new API since the new API started.

Maybe I'll ask them if they have the source code for their new API DLL available so I could look at what might need to be tweaked in it.

- Michael

EDITED: 23 Dec 2011 by MICHAEL GIBSON

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4815.3 In reply to 4815.2 
Ok. I'll hope they let you in and participate in getting the thing working well..
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hmm, I have an old device (SpaceMouse Serial) and I have no problem moving any of the views.

The rotate/zoom/pan quality (and number of frames per second) seems to be more related to the complexity of the scene than to the speed of the device.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Michael,

Didn't want to bring this subject up again however I wanted to give my 3dconnexion controller another go in MoI, since I use it with my other main CAD software, I've been avoiding the 3d controller with MoI because of the jerky movements mentioned previously, so I put it upon myself to find out what was the difference between MoI and my other CAD program so I can try and explain what is missing in hope you could revisit it.

The main difference I see and contributing annoyance is that in MoI you can't have simultaneous moves happening at once, it only handles one motion at a time, while holding the puck on the device to zoom and rotate at the same time the model will zoom for a certain amount of time, stop zooming and switch to rotate, rotate for a certain amount of time, stop rotating switch to zoom and so on. This is the jerky movement effect, for me and a few other CAD guys I've shown who also use a 3d controller find this an unnatural hand to eye feedback. In my other CAD program it's one smooth single motion when doing the same.

Any chance at looking at this again sometime or is this area final and buried?

Cheers
~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4815.6 In reply to 4815.5 
Hi Danny, is this a particularly old device possibly?

I can't reproduce any of that kind of motion issue using a SpaceNavigator type device over here. If your device is pretty old there may be some issue with the driver implementation - maybe your other CAD program uses an older interface for more directly connecting to the device, while MoI uses a newer interface that they developed later on but maybe there is some problem in the driver's newer layer when connecting to older devices.

> Any chance at looking at this again sometime or is this area final and buried?

Well, it would help a lot if I was able to reproduce the problem over here. Which particular device are you using?

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4815.7 In reply to 4815.5 
I have a Space Navigator that I use with MoI and I don't have that problem. I'm able to move around with all axes at once smoothly.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4815.8 In reply to 4815.5 
Hey Danny,
This issue has gone away for me now. I think it was a 3dconnexion driver update but it could have been an Nvidia one. I thought I rememebered discussing that it was resolved here on this forum. Maybe there was another thread?

Anyway,

I have:
Releaee version: 3.16.3
(Driver Version: 6.16.0
Firware Version: 4.04
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4815.9 In reply to 4815.8 
Hi Burr, yeah the last MoI v3 beta has some tweaks in it that I think should eliminate the problem with jerky motion when moving the mouse around right at the same time as using the 3dconnexion device.

Danny - was that what you were running into? I mean did the jerky motion only happen when you were moving your mouse around at the same time as doing navigation? Did it not happen if you took your hand completely off the mouse while doing the navigation?

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Michael,

> If your device is pretty old there may be some issue with the driver implementation

I have the latest Spacepilot Pro, settings in MoI: 3d View Projection = Parallel, Rotation style = Free Rotation.

Let me play with drivers as per Burr's suggestions and I'll get back to you.

Cheers
~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Okay, I had another look at this problem I was having where I could only move one axis at a time with the Spacepilot Pro within MoI and it just so happens that all I had to do was hit the 'Calibrate' button in the 3Dconnexions properties window...duh!
All nice and smooth movements now, took almost a year to figure that one out :(

Thanks for your help Michael and Burr.

Cheers
~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
4815.12 In reply to 4815.11 
Hi Danny, that's great that the 3Dconnexion device is working well for you now! I'll remember to suggest using that Calibrate button if I hear someone else with a similar problem in the future.

Thanks,
- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All