Curve selection for Flow

Next
Hi Michael,
Here is a file with a solid object and 2 curves. The base curve would be style red. With the base curve set at same size as the solid and placed at it's base, it is unselectable as the base curve for Flow.

EDITED: 19 Jun 2012 by BURRMAN

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4814.2 In reply to 4814.1 
> Here is a file with a solid object and 2 curves. The base curve
> would be style red. With the base curve set at same size as the
> solid and placed at it's base, it is unselectable as the base
> curve for Flow.

Hi Burr, I can't seem to repeat this problem over here. You might be running into problems selecting the curve if you try to select it _before_ doing the flow, if you have already selected the solid, that's because when you're in selection mode and you have the solid selected you will be able to also select the edge of the solid for a drill-in selection and that will compete with being able to target the curve.

But when you are actually in flow the solid gets selection lock applied to it after you have launched the command and that should take it out of contention for selection after that, which is how it seems to work over here.

So for example with your file, if I select the solid, then run Flow, it then seems that I can select the base curve that is overlapping one if its edges ok for the base curve in Flow, is that the step that is not working for you?

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4814.3 In reply to 4814.2 
Here's an example of it happening on my system.. Since you said it works locally for you, I'll trudge around to see if I can figure it out.. Let me know if you have any input that may help me figure it out.

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4814.4 In reply to 4814.3 
Hi Burr, actually it looks like it is dependent on the "Display hidden lines" option being on or off under the View palette:

I had that turned on, that's probably why it was behaving differently for me.

If you turn it on, does it then work ok for you?

I think there is something that needs tuning up though, probably the edges are overwriting the curve when they should instead be skipped because their parent object has selection lock on it. Selection is such a complex mechanism...

- Michael
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
4814.5 In reply to 4814.4 
Ahhh, Genious! That was it.