Please help beginner with simple wrap/extrude/waddayoucallit
All  1-11  12-17

Previous
Next
4791.12 In reply to 4791.11 
Yes yes yes!!

Thanks everyone, nice solutions. I'll play around and try them.

Harri
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4791.13 In reply to 4791.12 
Hi Harri - sounds like you've already got quite a lot of advice!

Here's a bit more that I'm not sure was mentioned directly above.

Right now it looks like you've got the outline on to the sphere how you want it like this:

So you can now cut up the sphere to give you just a teddy shaped sphere surface piece by using the Edit > Trim command. Select the sphere, run Edit > Trim, and select your curves there as the cutting objects. Then the next stage in the trim command is to pick which pieces you want to discard - in this case you would pick these 3 pieces to discard (or you can switch the mode to "keep" where you pick which pieces to keep instead and pick the one big piece you want to keep):

Then when you finish the trim you will be left with a surface that is a piece of a sphere that has your teddy outline for its boundary like this:

Now if I understand you correctly that is one part of the shape that you want, but you want to punch it out to thicken it but in such a way that it follows the surface normal and stays perpendicular to that surface.

That kind of "perpendicular to the surface at every point" type thing is called a surface offset, and there is a tool called Shell which can be used to thicken a surface into a solid piece by generating an offset surface and then connecting the edges between the original and the offset. See here for a couple of examples:
http://moi3d.com/2.0/docs/moi_command_reference7.htm#shell

So at this point you select that sphere surface piece, and then run Construct > Offset > Shell (it's the second grouped command that pops out when you click on Offset), and type in your thickness that you want and you will get this result:

Here it is shown at a different angle:

You can see there that the inside piece becomes a second sphere at a smaller radius - that smaller radius sphere is a constant thickness away from your original sphere piece:

Generating a surface offset like that gives a different kind of result than extrusion - you can also extrude a surface as well but it will make this style of shape instead:

So basically to get a "constant thickness and perpendicular" result you will be wanting to use an offset type tool to do that, and the Shell tool is probably the most convenient for your case since it will thicken a surface fragment into a solid generating the side wall pieces at the same time as well.

Shelling for thickening a surface tends to work best when the thing you're trying to thicken is all one smooth piece.

Hope this helps give you another way to get it done!

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4791.14 In reply to 4791.4 
And I think Michael T was on the right track there with his first reply since he did use shell in there as well.

The difference is that if you want the "side wall" parts to also follow the surface normal then you'll want the side walls to also be generated as part of the shell as well.

If the side walls come from a boolean with an extrusion then those areas will have the one uniform directional quality of an extrusion rather than the "follow the surface shape" type of result that shelling a surface fragment will give you.

Hope that make sense!

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4791.15 In reply to 4791.13 
Many thanks for the detailed description Michael, exactly what I was trying to do. I had found shell and tried to use it but somehow got too muddled with all the stuff floating around ;) Now my teddy is complete.

The project actually involves a more serious side to the teddy, it's an applicator tool, used to place small radioactive grains precisely onto the eye of a patient suffering from eye cancer (retinoblastoma). This project is one of my favorites, it really makes a difference to people in a bad situation.

Harri
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4791.16 In reply to 4791.14 
Cool, good to know these tidbits re: different tools! :)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
4791.17 In reply to 4791.15 
You're welcome Harri, I'm glad that you were able to complete it now.

I would never in a million years have guessed that was what the teddy would be used for, that is a really cool project!!

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-11  12-17