Hi-Res 3D Screen Shots

Next
I used to work at a company that had its own 3D program to assemble CAD parts. It was able to make very hi-res screen shots. The way this was explained to me is that it grabbed the image directly from the graphics card, not the screen. So the image could be sized to any resolution by the program. It wasn’t a render or ray tracer or anything.

Have any of you heard of this? Is there any kind of software that could take a scene in MoI or Sculptris and make a hi-res image from the graphics card without actually rendering it?

I realize as I type this that I sound like a moron. I know that what I’m looking for is possible, but I don’t have enough technology knowledge or terminology to explain it properly.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4777.2 In reply to 4777.1 
Hi Shaun, it is possible to set up a script on a shortcut key which will tell MoI to generate a viewport image on the graphics card at a higher resolution than the actual screen monitor display, it then places it as an image on the Windows clipboard which you can then paste into an image editing program.

See this post for some more information on how to set it up:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=1049.5

> Is there any kind of software that could take a scene in MoI
> or Sculptris and make a hi-res image from the graphics card
> without actually rendering it?

Usually the program itself needs to have been set up with some way to do this, it's not really something that is easy for an external program to do. So I'm not sure if you will be able to get one out of Sculptris.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4777.3 In reply to 4777.1 
Hey Shaun,
For MoI, use this script. The size is set in the script, though it will be limited by the capabilities of your video card:

http://kyticka.webzdarma.cz/3d/moi/#CaptureViewToClipboard

I dont know about just one for windows to use with any other program.

[FOILED again!!! quazy wabbit...]
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
WOWWW!!!!!!!! =-D

This feature is amazing! I didn't know you could plug in whatever screen rez you wanted, or I would've used it sooner.
I don't know about my old card at home, but the one at work rocks anyways.

This capture was rendered with MoI at 6400 x 4800 and reduced in Photoshop to 1600 x 1200. This exchange was done to simulate anti-aliasing to the surface edges.
I had the Mesh Angle set to "1"... Scary.
I don't know how the max resolution is determined in a video card. It must be a GPU process thing.

The quality is dizzying! - Smooth edges and crystal clear detail. My future tuts are going to benefit.

This is Awesome, Michael!
I hope that you're able to someday invent that progressive view-quality enhancement feature you had talked about,
because this just proves that MoI has on of the cleanest in-view displays of all 3D programs.

EDITED: 9 Dec 2011 by MAJIKMIKE

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4777.5 In reply to 4777.4 
Yes, this is is a brilliant bonus feature .. for preliminary presentation it saves setting up another rendering program and assigning materials.
Thanks again for the superb flexibility of MoI.
eric
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
WOW! This does save a lot of trouble, and gives great results. I don't think it will replace my using KeyShot, but it is another tool to add to my kit.

C.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4777.7 In reply to 4777.6 
indeed a cool script. Works great.
Thanks Michael...

Peace,
Rich_Art. ;-)

| C4DLounge.eu | Our Dutch/Belgium C4D forum. Cinema4D R13 Studio + VrayForC4D + UVLayout Pro + 3DCoat + MoI
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4777.8 In reply to 4777.2 
Hi Michael, Best wishes to you and family for a healthy and happy Holidays.
I can't seem to get the Hi res script to work on the OSX version any thoughts. Thanks in advance
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
4777.9 In reply to 4777.8 
Hi phlatt5th - happy holidays to you as well!

Right now one of the problems with the OSX version is that copying things to the clipboard does not work properly, including regular copy/paste of geometry.

So it's likely to be some similar bug as the regular copy/paste not working right now, I will add that to my list of OSX issues to look into, thanks for reporting it.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All