STEP File
All  1-7  8-16

Previous
Next
4741.8 In reply to 4741.7 
Hi Michael.

Yes, I did make a new file (untitled2), just to be sure I knew I was working afresh.
I can't export from MoI because I am running the 'no save' demo.

I work in metric - could that be part of the problem?

To try and avoid further confusion I've done another video that shows the whole creation and transfer into MoI.
I'll also attach the relevant file.

I shall delete the other two videos in a day or so, to recover some space.

http://screencast.com/t/hqNWje6Npt4t

Martin.
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4741.9 In reply to 4741.8 
Hi Martin, somehow that's a bug that's in the "no save" trial version that is not present in the regular release version of MoI.

Maybe I forgot to include one of the last set of bug fixes in that particular trial version or something like that.

I was getting confused because on my regular v2 version over here it behaves like you want, but I can repeat that using the "no save" trial version behaves differently.

Let me take a look and see if I can figure out why there is a difference in behavior between the full v2 version and the no-save trial version.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Martin and Michael,

I opened the file in NX and it come in as an Imperial file, I also noticed these statements in the STEP file

#36=UNCERTAINTY_MEASURE_WITH_UNIT(LENGTH_MEASURE(1.0E-006),#38,'','');
#38= (CONVERSION_BASED_UNIT('INCH',#70)LENGTH_UNIT()NAMED_UNIT(#73));

but further down it has this;

#119= (NAMED_UNIT(#73)LENGTH_UNIT()SI_UNIT(.MILLI.,.METRE.));

-
~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4741.11 In reply to 4741.10 
A difference in MoI is that it's import and export work a bit differently... With PunchCad, you cant "save" a STEP file.. You just export one. In MoI, if you are set to mm and "Import your file" it will have correct scale. If you "Open" it, it will default at inches...

Delcam Powershape handles this file the same way... I dont think that "MM" is defined in the file correctly. It seems to be just "Units" with a scale factor.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4741.12 In reply to 4741.10 
Hi Danny, I think it's one of these files that has units set to something like MM but with an additional scale factor applied to it which actually makes the real units as inches if you take mm times the scale factor.

Martin - there was a bug in the regular MoI v2 release that did not deal with that kind of unit setup properly, it misses the scale factor that's additionally applied to the unit system.

There is a patch available that can be applied to the full v2 release which fixes a couple of bugs and adds a new lwo export feature, it can be found attached to this forum message here:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=3926.4

If you apply that patch to the full release version of v2 then your STEP import will work properly after that. It's also fixed in the v3 beta releases as well.

I do not currently have any version of that patch for updating the v2 trial version though.

So the bug in the trial version that you're currently using is that MoI thinks that the units in the file are MM when actually they are stored in inches in the file itself (when you take the MM unit setting and also applied scale factor together into consideration).

So in order to get the units correct in your trial version of MoI, you will need to get the units converted from mm to inches without applying any scale factor to the objects. Then after that you can switch to mm with a scale factor applied which will then end up with the proper result.

The easiest way to do that is to leave those 2 checkboxes turned on, and then do the following:

Do a File > Open of any of your files.

You'll now see that the units are set as mm - this is actually incorrect, the objects at their current size are actually in inches units.

So now go to Options > General and switch the unit system from mm to "No unit system" - switching from any unit system to "no unit system" does not change the scale of the objects. Now switch the units again to Inches. Again there will be no scaling applied since you're coming from "No unit system" into inches. At this point the objects are correct. Now you can switch from inches to mm and the objects will scale and you'll have the proper final result.

Sorry for all my confusion over this, I had that patch applied to my regular v2 version and so I did not run into the same bug that you ran into with the no-save trial version. That caused me to get really confused as to why I was seeing a different result from you.

Hope this does now explain things properly!

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4741.13 In reply to 4741.12 
Sat and IGES files from Punchcad com in as MM when the file is set to that value.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4741.14 In reply to 4741.13 
I don't think that either SAT or IGES has quite the same kind of unit setup where it can be a unit system flag then with a separate additional scale factor.

I don't know why you would want to store a file that is actually in inches with the "units are millimeters" flag and then with a scale factor that converts from mm to inches but that's apparently what ViaCAD or maybe ACIS decides to do. I mean it seems easier if you want the units to be inches to set the units value to inches and then it's done. But anyway the stock MoI v2 doesn't get this kind of extra scale factor situation figured out correctly but that's been fixed up since then.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Thanks for the feedback, Michael and everyone else.

It seems that this is just one of those problems that comes about when we exchange formats between applications.
See here for an explanation/discussion as to why ViaCAD STEP files are saved in imperial units.

http://forum.punchcad.com/showthread.php?t=732&highlight=internal+units

Martin.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
4741.16 In reply to 4741.15 
Hi Martin, I can't seem to read that message until my forum registration there is approved or something.

But anyway, it was definitely a bug in MoI that MoI did not handle STEP files that used this style of unit system setting - that is fixed though with the above v2 patch for the v2 full release version, or with the v3 beta version.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-7  8-16