Rendering questions?
All  1-7  8-18

Previous
Next
4705.8 In reply to 4705.3 
Hi Mark,

I agree with you, if I have an interested customer, I could show them an image like that and it would most likely do the job. The way I would like to work, is to create my own design like I did in Moi, then put a rendered image on my site looking pretty much like the real thing would without having to build it and sell it from the rendered image. A kind of a virtual showroom of the models I'd like to build one day. (Je suis trop vieux pour commencer à me plier aux caprices de tous et chacun et de réaliser des meubles pour lesquels j'ai aucun intérêt.)

If I can sell my work this way I'd be an happy man and if I can't, well I'd still be an happy man. I'm doing these for my pleasure only and I have plenty of models I would like to build for our home and if I can sell a few it would help pay for the things I want a bit faster.

Thanks,
Felix
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4705.9 In reply to 4705.8 
You might look at Simlab composer, but I don't know how it performs with uvmapping.

It would be nice being to map textures in Moi!

Marc
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Mark,

I agree it would be nice to do everthing inside Moi but I don't think Michael sees it that way and it would bring it to the same level as other programs that we started to use much less then Moi because of their complexity.

Mike, I was surprised to see an obj file without material of any kind but with named objects come in nicely in Kerky but without names in Blender. I guess we all no where to address our complaints. With lwo format, I got both the names and "styles" (materials) in Blender

OSTexo,
I think I can figure out if a program will do by looking at the features and other sell materials provided or even dowloading the trial version if it seems ok.

From what I've seen so far, I guess I'll have to be careful on how I name things and how I use styles in Moi such that I have minimal overhead sort of speak outside of Moi. If I understand what Michael is coming up with in V3, at some point, we may have a quite different way of interacting with the outside world in the future. We'll just have to be patient a little bit more.

For now, I'll keep investigating Blender Cycles, it sounds promissing and cost very little. Did I mentioned Cycles is an hybrid node based physical renderer.

Thank you all,
Felix
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4705.11 In reply to 4705.10 
Carrara 3d has an excellent renderer. You can assign UV's but I don't remember how easy it is. Also there are several bargain renderers for Sketchup.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4705.12 In reply to 4705.10 
Hi Felix, like Mark mentions I'd recommend giving Simlab composer a try:

http://www.simlab-soft.com/3d-products/simlab-composer-main.aspx

It's rendering edition is $149 so it's way less in price than those full blown packages like 3DS Max, etc... and it's also a lot easier to use than those big packages.

The other one that you might want to check out is Carrara: (EDIT: somehow didn't see shaun mention that above already)
http://www.daz3d.com/i/products/carrara

> I agree it would be nice to do everthing inside Moi but I don't
> think Michael sees it that way and it would bring it to the same
> level as other programs that we started to use much less then
> Moi because of their complexity.

At some point I do want to include some basic level of rendering directly in MoI just for convenience but it has not been a high priority since there are such a large number of rendering programs out there.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4705.13 In reply to 4705.12 
Hi Michael,

I downloaded simlab and tried loading a Moi 3dm file and it crashed, very bad for a first impression. It is supposed to read Rhino5 files, but tried an object file and it was ok at first glance. I'll have to register it otherwise it's just a file viewer basically. Anyway I'll give a serious try.

Oh! I almost forgot, would you have a suggestion for export format or should I try them all?

Thanks,
Felix
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4705.14 In reply to 4705.13 
Use MoI as the mesher for simlab. OBJ.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4705.15 In reply to 4705.14 
BurrMan,

my first try didn't gave me a nice looking model even at over 300000 polys, would you have some suggestion to obtain something better?

Thanks,
Felix
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4705.16 In reply to 4705.15 
Try looking at your output options for OBJ. Quads and tris help. What was wrong with the first try?

I made this with SimLab:

http://www.i386group.com/simlab/sim_pod/pod.html

At first, i used a huge poly count model (To be sure it looked smooth) A subsequent test, with a default obj export (very low poly's) looked the same...

EDITED: 12 Nov 2011 by BURRMAN

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Great!!!
***Modeler Of Ideas***
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
4705.18 In reply to 4705.15 
Hi Felix - yeah you probably want to export an OBJ file out from MoI for going into Simlab and also it probably doesn't deal with complex n-gons very well so when doing the export set the option for "Output: Quads & Triangles" instead of "Output: N-gons" and that will probably avoid some problems.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-7  8-18