Parts won't export
All  1-15  16-20

Previous
Next
4701.16 In reply to 4701.15 
Michael,

I know I mentioned this in the email but I'll repeat for the good of the other forum users:

Alibre has its own import issues. I half expected it to not import the file incorrectly, regardless of format. That is entirely separate though from the issue of MoI taking several hours to export a file in the first place. When it comes to product design models are often highly detailed, there should then be no limitation on the complexity of the part. That would defeat the purpose of product design.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4701.17 In reply to 4701.16 
Hi Sebastian, in e-mail you mentioned that it did finally export out of MoI but only after letting it sit overnight.

So it appears to be not a crash or actual lock-up bug but a performance issue, my guess is that it probably has something to do with this particular situation of having a high number of trim curves contained within a single surface.

I'll investigate it, but I'm not sure yet when that will lead to a solution, it may take a variety of different tests and also some back and forth with the author of the I/O libraries that MoI actually uses to do the export. It's something that will need tuning in the library, not in MoI's own code directly.

So I probably won't have an answer for you right away on why the export from MoI for this model takes so long, but I will try to find out what is happening and if it can be improved though.

In the meantime some of the methods that I described above can probably help to get your work done now - try doing the holes in Alibre, or try using 3DM import into Alibre with the settings as I showed above.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4701.18 In reply to 4701.17 
I got a surface with 3200 x 1.2mm holes, export without any problem in under a minute... there's clearly something wrong here !
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4701.19 In reply to 4701.18 
Hi DesuDeus, is your one a solid with little tubes also joined to the holes or just an individual surface?

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
4701.20 In reply to 4701.19 
Individual surface, that's why :)
There's the tubes also but not the backface !

But I'm pretty sure that I tried to export the whole solid and it worked but it was too high polycount so I decided to do it with surfaces.
At this time I was on an i7 920 @ 3.5ghz and with 6gb of memory. It's better to export a cube before with low angle settings like 20° then export the solid, so that your exporter is set to 20° and not 5° for example !
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-15  16-20