Rhino on OSX now compatible with Moi

Next
The title pretty much says it all. Previous versions of the beta Rhino software on OSX choked on the Moi 3dm format files. They now open without incident. Yay!

Just thought I would share the news with the two other folks on Macs in this forum. LOL

C.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4689.2 In reply to 4689.1 
Hi,
sorry to hijack this thread but it was the latest concerning OSX.
How would one get MoI to run in mac? I have CrossOver but it does not function properly (launches to a white screen only). Do other software work better, like Parallels or Fusion? Any issues with speed/stability?

Would love to start using MoI in Mac :/
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4689.3 In reply to 4689.2 
Hi hilt - both Parallels and VMWare work currently to get things running on OSX right now, but also MoI v3 is pretty darn close to working with Wine (which is what CrossOver is based on) on OSX. From what I can tell so far it just seems to need a few things tweaked to account for one particular video driver feature that is not implemented on OSX.

I've been experimenting with that recently, so if you can wait for a bit I'll probably have more information on that within another week or so where I'll know whether using Wine is going to work on OSX or not.

I'm still not entirely sure that it's going to work but right now it's actually looking pretty promising.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4689.4 In reply to 4689.2 
I have Parallels, which works fine, but prefer to work with MoI directly under Bootcamp/Win XP.

Regards
Stefan
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4689.5 In reply to 4689.4 
The good thing about the Wine method is that it loads and executes code directly, it doesn't run inside of a "virtual machine" type layer. The only time Wine actually gets involved is when the program makes API calls, other than that it stays out of the way so basic number crunching code happens at full speed.

The main problem with it is that it does not perfectly recreate the regular Windows API behavior.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
I've been using Parallels since version 4 and it runs @ 100% on my Mac Mini with Moi. Version 4 can also be found a bit cheaper than the current version 6 if you like bargains! I allocate Parallels 2GB of RAM out of the 4GB installed in the machine and it can easily handle the fairly complicated drawings that I have done.

Moi is the only Windoze program I run, and I will do anything to keep it that way. LOL

Cheers,

Chris
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4689.7 In reply to 4689.3 
Hi Michael, you own a Mac and you're experimenting with WINE? Do you see the big smile on my face? Not having to start VMWare or dealing with Windows in order to use your great software would be too good to be true. This and improved 2D export.

Just yesterday out of curiosity I purchased WinOnX (winonx.com) from the Apple Appstore. It's some sort of WINE made simple for OS X users. I was able to install MoI 3 beta but when I started it I got the attched message.

I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope you can offer MoI for Mac users one day. There are more than two :)

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4689.8 In reply to 4689.7 
Hi Martin, yes I'm really close to having a prototype version of a Wine-based OSX version that won't require VMWare or Parallels to run anymore. I'll probably have something to test with in just a few more days here.

> I was able to install MoI 3 beta but when I started it I
> got the attched message

That means that MoI could not find the Direct3D 9 system DLLs that it uses to access the Direct3D system. That means that either WinOnX is using a pretty old version of Wine or it has disabled Direct3D in its Wine build, which would not be too surprising since there are some problems with Wine's D3D system on OSX in particular. It looks like I will be able to avoid those problems with just a couple of minor tweaks to MoI though.

But anyway I should have something for you to try really soon here.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4689.9 In reply to 4689.8 
:) Thanks Michael