Navigation?

Next
Hi,

I'm sure there is a way but I can't find it, maybe my memory is playing tricks on me again. So is there a way to 3D rotate the view from an object centroid such that where ever it is in the global world it will stay in focus in the viewport?

Thanks,
Felix
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4686.2 In reply to 4686.1 
CLick one object for select it then clic the the Center tool for have focus on it ! then Then rotate tool ;)
Click again the the Center tool then The rotate tool for the all objects rotate

EDITED: 7 Nov 2011 by PILOU

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4686.3 In reply to 4686.2 
Pilou,

thanks, hope you wont be mad at me but the center tool is actually the reset button and it behaves differently depending on if objects are selected or not (see Moi docs). When an object is selected and the reset button is clicked ounce, it will zoom the object to its extents and center in the viewport and if we 3D rotate the viewport, all movement are in relation to the center of the object but the option setting must be set to rotate around world Z or the free rotation setting. This works only when a single object is selected.

When no objects or multiple objects are selected 3D rotate behave kind of normal ie. around the world Z.

I either forgotten this or possibly I didn't know about it, so it worked like I wanted only by accident more then by choice.

I just hope I wont forget this in the future.

Thanks,
Felix
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4686.4 In reply to 4686.3 
Hi Felix, did you figure out what you needed then?

To focus on a particular object you can select it and then push the Reset button once (pushing it twice will target all objects regardless of selection like you mentioned).

That will position the 3D viewport's rotation pivot point at the center of that object's bounding box, which means rotation will happen around that point after that, unless you have set the rotation style to "First person", which is a different style that pivots around the eye point itself instead of around a focus point.

It's also possible to set the rotation pivot to one specific point (like say the corner of a box instead of the center) by using the Zoom Area tool on that same toolbar at the bottom of the viewport. That tool lets you zoom to a particular region and the first point that you pick for the center of the region will also become the rotation pivot.

But for the most part if you want to focus on one particular object then select it and push the Reset button at the bottom of the viewport.

You can also right-click the Reset button to make it apply to all 4 viewports instead of only that single one.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
4686.5 In reply to 4686.4 
Michael,

yeap! I think I got it now. Hopefully, I wont forget it this time around. Thanks also for the aditional info.

Thanks,
Felix
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All