I tried 'Flow' but...

Next
I find that the new 'Flow' command is a lot of fun but I am still scratching my head to find ways to use it for practical purposes in my own field of interest, which is mostly ship modeling.

I tried applying rivets to a funnel, which worked very well. I unrolled the various panels (in Rhino as I would not know how to to that with MoI) then applied all the rivets (just little round balls in this case) to the flat panels using Array along offset curves of the edges and fiddling a little with space/count to get reasonable spread of rivets). I had trouble doing Boolean afterwards on the results to merge the solid rivets with the solid funnel, some rivet stubbornly refusing the mass-merge and requiring individual command, and a few permanently not merging at all, thus requiring a local redo. may have had similar trouble had I used with more mundane array etc. that might have been easier to manage in this particular case study anyway.

However, I then tried a non-ship-specific case with a clock, that worked well enough, but some of the shapes developed a wavy side that I wonder about, probably because of the steep angle near the tip of the dome, but I guess that this is the whole point with Flow as a decal-like process. I tried the various options, but these gave odd results. Would there be a way to correct this slight distortion?

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi JPBWEB!

For a revolved surface like that, you should consider the method I use for Flow.
Where you align your objects on a flat revolved reference surface that mimics the same point arrangement as the target surface.

Check this file out: http://www.mediafire.com/file/z2g0ao32f80tb8t/flow_on_revolved_surface_clock_01.3dm
See an example here: http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=4673.1

As for the wavy result... I bet you used "Projection" to place those clock objects?

If you see here: http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=4668.1

Michael notes how the Projection mode takes into account some type of ray-tracing calculation that gets very funny after the surface normal is too high in degree away from the target object.

With a standard Flow with every object simply being wrapped around the target surface, the result is more point-to-point.

Hope this helps.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
4682.3 In reply to 4682.2 
Aha !

You are right. I simply generated a base surface that is a flat version of the target surface, and that did the trick, with no option checked (no projective, no straight no nothing). Everything conformed gently and obediently :)

Thanks for the tip !

Jean-Paul
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All