Fabric TOC in MoI

Next
A project of 5 FACES-TOC or BONNET (Hat-Cap-Bonnet with 5 sides in star) for litterate MANKIND, MAN-BEING.

I have used FLOW, for the "Claw, Griffe", on the frontal face, the brass mark or logo scratchs through the fabric; and also for the medieval Frieze, weaves in 2 colors for the "Crown, Coron, Goron" (Circle or Ring base under the Bonnet). The function "SWEEP" has been used for the 5 Bands or Ribbons (Listons), the Edges or Hems of the 5 sides; and one "Ropes-Pendant" with 40 plies, has been added to remind the trail of a shooting star.

The whole is a TOC or BONNET (HAT or CAP) planed for LAYMAN "Scientific in ARTS" (not "scientist", not "scholarly" in robbe, robbers, in gown or dress of Sectator) but it is a Hat, Toc or Bonnet of Mankind who has the head in harmony with the geodesic planets or Earth's system, the NATURE (Natural = Not overnatural, supernatural, churchy & other cretin). It's also that it is called, since some years, a "MIKI" (a Bret-Hat; Britanny-Cap), as some small Docker's Cap (very cerebral peoples; if they are?). My "Serengoron", "5-sides-Hat", is taller & more adorned that the ones we can found in trade, around ten Euros or a little more.

Of course, this TOC can be totally customized following the man's character & his totem, who wants to be well & clevering "caping" (well covered head; to have a head well made)... To avoid the boilings or vapor's head to go away.

Note: To find a good fabric texture is not simple; so the one that I have built with full small pieces, has some imperfections; like a fabric weaves by hand.... As, "Perfection is not Mankind"; so... it's okay for me...
At least; the choice of the background is dictated by the sense of "LIVING", because the WOOD is the LIFE.

EDITED: 30 Oct 2011 by BFM

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4656.2 In reply to 4656.1 
Beautiful job.
Thanks for sharing this.
eric
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4656.3 In reply to 4656.1 
Hi Bard, gorgeous patterns and the fabric texture turned out great! Very nice rendering.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Very nice work Bard!

Michael T.
Michael Tuttle a.k.a. mictu http://www.coroflot.com/DesignsByTuttle
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Very nice. I thought at first it was a real hat, and you were seeking advice on how to make the model.

Now I see you are very skilled. Well done.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4656.6 In reply to 4656.5 
Thank you! I confirm that all is made fastly & very easily in MoI.
For the logo; to deform it as we want in a sector of a half-sphere, look at the base surface & how this surface is projected on the front sector. For the frieze (that looks simple, but quite clever & not so easy), took from a architectural pattern, the surface of destination has been cut & built from the final objet "crown, coron, goron" (a simple rotation of a roll-up profil on a circle). Of course, this surface of construction is kept, to project or throw, differents friezes in the future.

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4656.7 In reply to 4656.6 
Hi Bard, that's a really great use of Flow!

For things like the logo there is also a new additional "Projective" mode for Flow which can help for applying an object on to a more localized area on a target rather than wrapping it onto the full surface extent as the normal Flow mode.

To use it, you first need to actually position the object that you want to place and its base plane at the projection angle that you want to use to beam the object on by, so unlike the regular flow the orientation of the base plane is significant for this mode, and the object gets applied on to the target by rays shooting out along the base plane's surface normals and intersecting the target object.

So for example say you want to apply this little star shape on to the revolved surface more like applying a decal and not so much like applying a pattern along the entire surface:

So similar to regular flow, with projective flow you still need a base plane for the object. However in this case the base plane does not need to relate to the full size of the target surface, you can instead place it just framing the object to be deformed with a small margin around it like this:

Then take the object and base plane together and rotate them into the position for what angle you would like them to be projected at. The Transform > Orient tool can be useful for this, or you can use any kind of rotation or placement methods. So for example you would move them into a position like this:

This positioning step is the main difference from regular flow - unlike regular flow the angle of how the plane projects on to the target object is significant with projective flow mode. The relation of the object to the base plane still controls the "water level" of the object on to the target though as well, meaning the deformed object will touch the target object at the same place it touches the base plane.

Then to activate projective mode, there is a checkbox that you enable when you go to pick the target surface:

You need to set that checkbox before picking the target object, and also in projective mode you're able to pick a joined surface as the target instead of just a single surface, and as long as the joined surface is all smooth throughout it is ok for the object to cross surface boundaries on the target in projective mode.

So that generates this kind of result:

Anyway, the nice thing about projective mode is that you don't have to worry about the aspect ratio of the full surface and try to account for that when setting things up, it should be a bit easier to use for cases where you want to apply an object to a more local spot of an object rather than as a full texture.

There's also a "Straight" option that you can set in the last stage for projective mode - this controls the shape of how the deformed object grows out from the target. Without straight it comes off of the target's surface normal, making an offset like result. With straight enabled it comes off along the base plane's surface normal, making it act more like an extrusion in that direction rather than a surface offset.

- Michael

EDITED: 30 Oct 2011 by MICHAEL GIBSON

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4656.8 In reply to 4656.7 
Hello Mickael,

Yes, we have to understand & to make the différence between, what is a "Regular Flow" & what is a "Projective Flow".

It must to understand the adjective "PROJECTIVE" as mathematical term, from "PROJECTION"; & "REGULAR" as a other process, method, form, formula or calcul, that obeys to a RULE, a law, a norm, or one regularity. These 2 formulas or manners to project something, don't give, of course, the same result or consistency.
PROJECTIVE (Adj.) = That acts & reacts by "differential projection"; that be planned, organized following its character of start or beginning. So the différences are the result (outcome) of a short, minimal or minor displacement on a bit or piece, of the target surface selected. That doesn't mean that the deformation will not more enormous, but more target.

We have to take in consideration what kind or sort of déformation we want to obtain, to get or to reach. In my example of TOC, HAT, CAP, I prefer the "Regular Flow" or "Regular Deformation", I am not sure to want a nearly, closed déformation from my objet of start, it's not the effect that I searched, nor the idea that I had in the head. In Art, there is a part of random that we search to make that we could to call "happy artefacts (artifacts)", that we try after, to reproduce (that way creates that we call "a style").

As we see, the "Regular Flow" create regular shape, a average repartition along & through the totality of the target surface; whereas the "Projective Flow" or "Projective Deformation" goes to create a distortion conditionned by first, the objet of Start, & in second, by the "differential target space", more or less selected.

This "differential" is a important notion inherent to the "Projective Deformation". We havn't this calcul of "differential" in the "Regular Flow", because the deformation is applied with regularity, same repartition, on all the target surface, not on one "differential space"... We know that a "differential" is a "pourcent, a gap, distance, marging, &c"... As in a gearbox...
So, understand the concept of differential, it's understand enough the function "Projective FLow", & after we can do something with full knowledge of the facts... It's that, the real freedom or Liberty. I like to be free...

Correct me if I say "enormities" (pieces of utter, nonsenses). I search always to understand clearly the principles to illuminate my Liberty; so after it's easy to understand "background & form".

EDITED: 31 Oct 2011 by BFM

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4656.9 In reply to 4656.8 
At the beginning, I believed that the "projective flow" was a new function of "curve project, Isect, silhou"; I didn't see, the small option to check, after to have selected the surface of base.

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
4656.10 In reply to 4656.9 
As we can see on this screen view, the Frieze can to be projected same on all the small borders.
To do that, with a "Projective Flow" is not a easy thing, in this case.

With the same frieze, a base line (not a surface) + "Projective Flow (Straight)", to a target line (not a surface), we can get easily a nice crest on an helmet, like a mohican hairstyle (or some punks). MoI, it's fun!

EDITED: 31 Oct 2011 by BFM

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All