My Kingdom For A Throne!
 1-11  12-31  32-37

Previous
Next
Here is a test render with the toilet placed in the final architecture.
The bathroom is designed with a 12'x12' footprint and the toilet sits in a corner nook, with two slim frosted-glass windows on the one wall.

The materials are temporary for testing purposes and no details have been added to the bathroom scene besides the toilet and basic trim.
But my current purpose now is to hammer out the lighting and design challenges first.
It's been a good exercise so far.

The following pic was rendered in Kerkythea Boost with 115 passes in the mode called: "Metropolis Light Transport (BiPT)",
which takes a looong time to render, but I feel it has the best results when subtle light bounces, reflections and caustics are concerned.
This constitutes about 20 hours of render time with a four-core i7 cpu. The image was at 2000x2000 pixels, but reduced to 1000x1000.
I like to render the MLT images at twice the pixel dimensions, then reduce it when final because there is a trade-off and most of MLT's inherent noise is reduced.
More poly's and lights add exponentially to the render time of course, and there are a lot in this current incarnation of the toilet model. I'll scale down the poly count when I get more familiar with what I can get away with in this scene.

I ran an earlier "Photon Map + caustic + fine, aa 0.3", but the results were a little cartoon for me.
I'm still at the bottom of the rendering learning curve, though.

As I progress with my scene I'll produce more renders.

EDITED: 28 Oct 2011 by MAJIKMIKE

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4638.33 In reply to 4638.32 
It's looking great Mike! The only down thing is that you can't really appreciate all that detail on the handle area when it's a bit far away and in shadow like that...

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4638.34 In reply to 4638.33 
Thanks,

Yes, the handle is kinda diminutive when rendered in a room scene.
The advantage of rendering in a real-world inspired scene space is that you can get a better "eye" on how things like inventions and custom shapes would actually "feel".
(in a manner of speaking).

I created the toilet, and bathroom to size. And by doing that I soon realized when rendering that the toiled look more "grand" when modeled by itself with dramatic lighting.
Here, it kinda just looks like a humble toilet with a cool handle.

Because the room I created is not really a large open space, the resulting renders will have to be done as separate piece shots, focusing on the highlights, like the handle.
When you think about it, most of those nice, modern living-space renders architects like to show off, if brought to reality, would have to lead you to believe that only billionaires commissioned these pieces! Where someone's "bathroom from the future" is actually larger than my whole house!

I say a real challenge is designing for spaces that real humans live in. Where most may have rooms that might not exceed 12' in any direction.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Here is a test render of the sink. I needed to test the metals I wanted and the effects of a mirror.
Too much gold so far. (60) passes of MLT mode.

EDITED: 31 Oct 2011 by MAJIKMIKE

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Dali's bathrooms elements !)
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
4638.37 In reply to 4638.36 
> Dali's bathrooms elements !)

And with Flow and Twist I can now make a melting clock to put over the side of the sink!!!

There's a Salvador DalĂ­ museum just a few hours drive away in St. Pete Florida... It's on my "to-visit" list.

http://thedali.org/
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-11  12-31  32-37