Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4634.22 In reply to 4634.21 
Ycarry: Super! Great! Very realistic rendering. All is made with MoI?
It's incredible...
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4634.23 In reply to 4634.19 
""""""""""Hello BurrMan,

I let you know that I paid you with 1 ton of gratitude & 1 quintal of mercy.
That is a good price, isn't it? A deared price... """"""""""

Those are great payments! But I'm a brand new dad. So all my extra work has to produce currency to pay for those little guy's.. Sorry, maybe when they get older.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4634.24 In reply to 4634.18 
Hi Bard,

> Why we have a CUBE and a SPHERE?

It's because those are used so frequently by a large number of people.

The number of people using a torus frequently and repeatedly for their modeling is extremely low.

Sure, you may want to use one every now and then, but there is a big difference between something that you do infrequently versus something that you need to do all the time.

If you need to create only 1 torus a day, then the 5 seconds that it takes to create one by drawing a circle and doing revolve is not any kind of significant interruption to your workflow.

In fact, it's much more the opposite - having the UI clogged up with a whole lot of things that would only save you 5 seconds once a week or so is really bad overall because there is a negative effect to having a whole ton of stuff in the UI that you have to sort through every time you want to do the stuff that you need to do much more frequently than that.

> I prefer always to have all beneath the hand <...>

Unfortunately that does not scale well - adding in a ton of stuff that is rarely used is exactly what causes "bloat", making the UI ponderous and more difficult to use - it's way more difficult to have to sort through some giant UI panel containing 100 things in it than it is to deal with something streamlined to have more essential stuff in it.

In the future I want to make it easier to do stuff like have a list of plug-ins that you could browse to add in some more specialized functions - a torus command would be a good fit as a plug-in like that.

But for the time being it does literally take only 5 seconds to create one, I just timed myself to do it right now.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4634.25 In reply to 4634.23 
"""""""""""""But I'm a brand new dad"""""""""""""

Congratulations Mr Burr!

Marc
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4634.26 In reply to 4634.24 
Boré da Mihangel Michael!

<< The number of people using a torus frequently and repeatedly for their modeling is extremely low.>>

How do you know this? Have you a numbered return on the use of a Cone in a 3D software? ...
I use torus one thousand times more than everybody, I want to click 1000 times in this poll...

<< In the future I want to make it easier to do stuff like have a list of plug-ins that you could browse to add in some more specialized functions - a torus command would be a good fit as a plug-in like that.>>

Yes, that will be good all that. I thought to suggest to plan a custom space or box of "Ressources" with tabs for user, where we could slide and drop customs colors, textures (maybe), shapes, lines (strokes), patterns or backgrounds.

I asked me also, if it will be possible to apply a degree of transparence to objets. By example, if we built a glass with water inside among solid objets; to be abble to simulate what it is not opaque, but translucent or transparent. This possibility should to interest a lot of users. I hope that I am not the lonely-poor-western to want this?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4634.27 In reply to 4634.26 
Hi Bard,

> How do you know this? Have you a numbered return on
> the use of a Cone in a 3D software? ...

I know it from my long experience of developing CAD software and working with customers and helping them do stuff.

Especially by helping people work through their problems I get a chance to see what kinds of problems they are running into and see patterns in how many people are experiencing the same problem. The particular problem of "not being able to create a torus fast enough" is extremely rare...

> Yes, that will be good all that. I thought to suggest to plan a
> custom space or box of "Ressources" with tabs for user, where
> we could slide and drop customs colors, textures (maybe),
> shapes, lines (strokes), patterns or backgrounds.

Yeah I want to have customizable tabs eventually but that's more complex to implement and it's probably further out.

In a sooner time frame than that, I want to have a "Plug-ins" button on the bottom toolbar next to Options which will pop up a menu where various extensions will be listed. I'm not exactly sure when that will happen either yet though.

> I asked me also, if it will be possible to apply a degree
> of transparence to objets.

Yeah this comes up more often - I do want to have this as well, but the way video cards function does not make it particularly easy to make translucent things, it basically requires a lot of special sorting work to be done by the application and it's something that could easily degrade performance significantly unless it's done quite carefully. Things that can impact display performance a lot require a lot of additional development time with stuff like a lot of measurements and testing being done, so it's time consuming work.

It's difficult for me to know exactly when some particular feature that will require a lot of work will be completed. Often times focusing on an area that requires a lot of work is a tradeoff that means doing that particular feature would then postpone other features until some later time. Right now I kind of place new modeling functions at a higher priority level.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4634.28 In reply to 4634.25 
Hi Burr, almost missed this:

> > But I'm a brand new dad

A new addition to the family? Congratulations!!!

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
4634.29 In reply to 4634.28 
Sorry, guy's a bit misleading... No "Brand new" ones.... (It still feels brand new though :) They just seem to be getting more expensive a couple years in.... Thanks for the wishes though..Still with the original 2.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-20  21-29