OBJ export settings for C4D

Next
Hi,

still playing around with MOI and trying to
find the best obj-settings for impoting meshes into C4D.

Any experiences, which values are working best?

thaks
Mike
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4592.2 In reply to 4592.1 
The one crucial thing I found was to ensure Import Normals is switched on. That will ensure you don't get any nasty breaks in the surface smoothness. As far as the density of the mesh, that's dictated by the resolution of your output but I would avoid any long thin polygons if I were you.

Cheers
Rich
www.loopcorp.com

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi,

I get major problems when exporting obj to C4D
as you can see in the image.

Although all letters have exactly the same fillet
from MOI some surfaces are distorted.
Tried also to change phongshading angle and deleting the
normals-tag but without luck!

I also tried to export the obj with less poly-count, but
I also get artefacts.

Any help?

thanks
mike
Image Attachments:
Size: 216.9 KB, Downloaded: 158 times, Dimensions: 1280x720px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4592.4 In reply to 4592.3 
I have no problems with export to C4D. I never use the same settings. It all depends on the object..

Peace,
Rich_Art. :-)

| C4DLounge.eu | Our Dutch/Belgium C4D forum. Cinema4D R13 Studio + VrayForC4D + UVLayout Pro + 3DCoat
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Maybe use NGons as C4D use them ;)
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4592.6 In reply to 4592.3 
Hi mike,

> I get major problems when exporting obj to C4D
> as you can see in the image.

Those look like rendering-specific artifacts such as self-shadowing type problems.

You'll probably need to adjust some parameters in the rendering engine to avoid those glitches - either that or possibly check if you have some kind of environment map set that has some dark bands in it or something like that.

But that kind of speckly looking stuff is very indicative of a rendering specific process, not really something related to the import itself.

What happens in just the regular viewport display without doing a rendering, does it also have darkness in those areas or not?

Maybe try clearing out environment maps and turn off global illumination in the renderer and see if you get a much different looking render result.

Anyway, you'll be manipulating the renderer itself to tweak that, not the export out of MoI.

> I also tried to export the obj with less poly-count, but
> I also get artefacts.

Yes, that's normal that a lower polygon count will have more pronounced visible edges in the geometry - you need to export a higher polygon count object if you want to reduce that type of artifact, it is caused by a low number of polygons being used to approximate curves.

Just move the slider to the right somewhat to generate a denser mesh to reduce that kind of artifact.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4592.7 In reply to 4592.3 
So basically to answer your original question - there are no special particular settings required to export to C4D, just don't disable the importing of normals and don't delete the normal tag because using the imported vertex normals for shading helps make the shading look better because those normals come from the original NURBS surface data.

Then the only other thing is that if you want to reduce the appearance of polygonal outlines you need to move the slider to the right a bit to generate a denser output with more polygons in it.

But it's possible in numerous ways to have artifacts in a rendering that are specific to the render engine itself, and you may need to tweak things like bias settings or parameters like that to manipulate the rendering. That's something that's involved with the renderer itself though and not the import of the geometry.

Maybe check if your objects are at a different scale than what the default settings in the render engine are expecting.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Be careful with scaling when importing an OBJ in to C4D. Generally you need to tell the C4D importer, or Riptide if you use that, to scale the object up by 1000 or 100 times (depending on what did the export). If you don't you will end up with (to C4D) a very tiny object that will have all kinds of weirdness including an inability to render properly. To test this, create a standard 200 unit cube in C4D. Then import your OBJ into the same scene. Adjust the scale so your model comes in at about the same size as the cube.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Hello,

Not application specific but MG's MergeOBJ utility is a great way to save out different levels of detail and then merge those multiple OBJs into one. Some components just don't require the level of detail that others do, hopefully this functionality will make it into MoI itself.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All