Fillet won't fillet at half radius

Next
Hi Michael

So I've found what looks to be a fillet bug? (I can reproduce it - oh and I'm using the V3 beta, but the same thing happens with V2)

What I'm doing is this:

Create a Rect, 24x24
Seperate
Select the top and left edges
Fillet, radius 12

And it will fail.

12.1 works fine
11.9 works fine

But given 12 is only half way towards any limit, I don't understand why it would fail here?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4584.2 In reply to 4584.1 
Hi NightCabbage, I tried to reproduce your steps but over here I don't seem to have a failure.

Oh wait - it looks like it happens if you do a window select for selecting things, rather than clicking on each one.

Normally with curve fillet on 2 separate curves, it looks at the points that you clicked on to decide which parts of the curves to keep, that's to handle cases like 2 lines that cross each other in an X type shape. If you do a window select it tries to keep the longer piece or something like that, that part seems to be where you're running into a problem.

Can you confirm that if you select the 2 lines by clicking on them instead of doing a window select that the fillet works ok for you?

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4584.3 In reply to 4584.2 
If seperating the square out, The fillet of 12 fails on the "second fillet" of the 2 sides and top line of the seperated edges.. If you join the 3 edges together you can then fillet 12 on each corner seperatly, but not together...
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4584.4 In reply to 4584.2 
Michael

Confirmed! You are correct :)

Wow, I didn't realise there was a difference.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4584.5 In reply to 4584.4 
Hi NightCabbage,

> Wow, I didn't realise there was a difference.

There isn't supposed to be for a case like that, that's definitely a bug there. I've added it to my list, it should probably not be too hard to fix up.

The click-focused nature of it is so that you can control which of the 2 possible fillets is created for cases like this:

You'll get different results there depending on which side of the intersection point you clicked on when selecting the horizontal line with a click.

When doing a window select it's supposed to automatically pick one (preferring to keep the longer piece if there are different sizes involved if I remember right), and it's not supposed to make any difference when both curves come to a single shared endpoint instead of meeting in a T like above or an X, but something in that part seems to be where the bug is at.

- Michael
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4584.6 In reply to 4584.1 
Hi NightCabbage, also you may already know this but just in case - you don't actually need to do a separate on the rectangle first, you can select the whole still joined rectangle and then do a Fillet and it will prompt you to pick which corners you want to fillet.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
lol This all sounds awesome :)

I think the problem is that, to my knowledge, these features aren't documented?

I bet there are ton of features in MoI that would make my life much easier - but I just don't know they exist! :D
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
4584.8 In reply to 4584.7 
Hi NightCabbage,

> I think the problem is that, to my knowledge, these
> features aren't documented?

Being able to fillet corners of a single joined curve is documented in the help file under Fillet:
http://moi3d.com/2.0/docs/moi_command_reference7.htm#fillet

"Selecting a single curve that has corners in it (for example, a rectangle curve) will allow filleting of some or all of those corners."

Also one of the example images shows that kind of filleting with selecting corner vertices...

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All