Back to basics

Next
Hi All,

If you don't already know there's a cad community called GrabCad where you can go and upload cad models to show what you can do or you can download models for personal use.
Grabcad has a number of challenges on the go with some great rewards, I'd like to enter them all but don't always have the time, anyway they've just had a challenge where you win a 3d printer, who wouldn't want one those, I didn't have any spare time at all until the last day where I had a few hours, so I launched MoI and got started, the theme was to model a 3d printable robot mascot with company logo.

The reason I'm posting this is to show that you don't always need to create fancy complicated surfaces or have sophisticated modeling tools to create something that looks reasonably good, the ABot was created using 11 spheres and 2 cylinders (not including the mirrored ones) the logo and a clip (not visible) were downloaded, and that's it.

If I didn't have MoI and with the time constraint I had I wouldn't of even bothered with my regular cad software, and I did really have a moment of inspiration :)

Thanks again Michael for producing a product that is truely innovative, fun and easy to use.

If you'd like a closer look you can download the model from the following link http://grabcad.com/library/abot, registartion required.
Challenge details http://grabcad.com/challenges/the-makerbot-robot-challenge

Any questions feel free.

Cheers
~Danny~
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4562.2 In reply to 4562.1 
Great looking result Danny! I'm glad that MoI is working well for you to crunch out stuff like this so quickly.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4562.3 In reply to 4562.1 
Hey Danny,
3d print that guy and use him to hold the pencils on your desk at work!!! > :o
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Danny,

This is great! I saw the challenge on GrabCad as well, but did not have time to enter a model. Hope you win! Of course, all of your MoI buddies will be hitting you up for building 3d prints of their models from your winnings! :-)

Michael T.
Michael Tuttle a.k.a. mictu http://www.coroflot.com/DesignsByTuttle
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Thanks.

What ever the result Burr I think I will get this guy printed, and yeah, that was the idea to have it as a desk buddy :)
Like Michael T. said if I win, free prints for all MoI users..........until the plastic wire that comes with the machine runs out that is :)

Cheers
~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All