How to create???
All  1-6  7-12

Previous
Next
hi,
this my polygon model:

It is interesting to make in nurbs.

Rudl: I don't know, have found in the Internet...

Thanks all!!

ps: Excuse for my English

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4552.8 In reply to 4552.7 
Hi Roman, actually models that are kind of blobby/melty looking can tend to be more suited for constructing in a sub-d polygon modeling program rather than in NURBS.

The strongest area of NURBS tends to be with designs that have distinct 2D profile elements to them, particularly when there are precision cuts in the model.

Organic blobby shapes are actually an area that sub-d modeling is really well suited for.

So probably you've already gone in the better direction of doing this in sub-d modeling rather than in NURBS.

Is there some particular reason why you want to build this in NURBS when you've already done it in sub-d ?

I'd really recommend not doing that and just sticking with your current process for this particular style and type of shaping.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4552.9 In reply to 4552.7 
One general tip for NURBS creation though - most of the time with NURBS modeling you don't want to create a curve framework that has a sudden tight bend in it like you've got here:

Generally you want to make that be a simple sharp corner there and then you use filleting to put the small smooth blend piece in rather than trying to draw that tight bend in directly.

- Michael
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4552.10 In reply to 4552.7 
Hi Roman, so basically to do something like that in NURBS you've got to kind of decompose it into some broader surfaces, temporarily ignoring areas that have tight bends in them since those tight corners will come from fillets.

It can be difficult to handle shapes that do not have a very clear decomposition though, which seems to be the case for your shape here, particularly in this area of it:

The fillet-like piece kind of melting away and losing its distinctive shape in that area will probably be challenging - that type of shaping without a clear delineation of forms tends to be difficult to do in NURBS.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Michael,

It is simply interesting to me to create her in Nurbs.
To be typed it is more than experience for the further work..

ps: Excuse for my English
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
4552.12 In reply to 4552.11 
Hi Roman,

> It is simply interesting to me to create her in Nurbs.
> To be typed it is more than experience for the further work..

It's not really a model that is well suited for NURBS construction though - like I mentioned before models that are more melty and blobby tend to fit better with sub-d modeling techniques rather than NURBS modeling techniques.

So it's not really a great model for gathering NURBS modeling experience with - that would be kind of like practicing pounding in nails with a screwdriver. You could probably make it work but it's not using the tool that is best suited for the particular job at hand.

In particular the area that I show indicated with the red arrow above will probably be the most difficult to achieve. The other areas have a better separation between forms - each area that has a tighter bend is a separator and the general process is to build the larger forms out of a more simplified and possibly extended sheet for each one, and then cut them with each other and the tightly bent connection zones are formed by filleting.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-6  7-12