Tangency between mirrored surfaces
All  1-3  4-8

Previous
Next
Hi all,

Based on the remarks from BurrMann and Michael, I was able to loft the fuselage to a satisfactory conceptual stage which is great. It needs a bit more work but I was starting to understand the curves better.

I was then working on the wing root and was wondering if the model attached is correctly modeled as per BurrMann's comments regarding tangency at the mirror point? I'm not sure I really understood what was being said, but my interpretation is attached (root.3dm).

Also, how can I blend the surfaces of the (blending.3dm)?

Thanks for any assistance

Ramon
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4516.5 In reply to 4516.4 
Hi mcdrury,

""""""""""""I was then working on the wing root and was wondering if the model attached is correctly modeled as per BurrMann's comments regarding tangency at the mirror point? I'm not sure I really understood what was being said, but my interpretation is attached (root.3dm). """""""""""""

Yes it is correct. The 3 points you have in alignment there at the leading edge create a tangent connection between the surfaces.

You have them relatively "close" to each other, which will make the connection "look harder" on the surface.

If you delete those 2 closest to the center point, then use the next 2 back and align them with the leading edge, you will see a much more gradual, smooth curve of the surface..

If you are looking in the front view, as soon as you move either of those 2 points left or right in the view, you will have a "hard edge" or a seam there...

EDITED: 19 Jun 2012 by BURRMAN

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4516.6 In reply to 4516.4 
"""""Also, how can I blend the surfaces of the (blending.3dm)?""""""""

Well, it depends.. Is this what you were expecting to see as a result??

EDITED: 19 Jun 2012 by BURRMAN

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4516.7 In reply to 4516.4 
Hi Ramon,

> Also, how can I blend the surfaces of the (blending.3dm)?

You've got several of the original construction curves in there - in order to do a surface blend you need to pick edges of the surfaces but that will be difficult in your model there directly since the original construction curves are overlapping right over top of the surface edges.

So hide or delete those construction curves to get them out of the way and that will make it easier for you to select the surface edges to blend between.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
4516.8 In reply to 4516.7 
Hi all,

Thanks for the info. A few basics that eluded me.

Seem to be getting the hang of it.

Appreciate all the help.

Ramon
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-3  4-8