Love the new flow command
 1-20  21-22

Next
I have been using Moi for a while now to make cnc patterns...veered away from nurbs for a bit and started to learn poly's but been lurking around watching MagicMike's stuff and it got me hooked again on this awsome program. The flow command is awsome...need to clean some stuff up to get rid of a couple small spikes...was more of a test..love it

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4514.2 In reply to 4514.1 
Nice!!!!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Cuty woody!
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Wow!

Ed
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Thanks JPALuck!!!! I am extremely honored! :-)

Your decorative mold piece is very beautiful! It would be nice to see one cut by a CNC, to see how it would turn out.

Stay interested my friend, using MoI can be rewarding.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4514.6 In reply to 4514.1 
Hi jpaluck, that turned out fantastic! I'm glad that the new Flow command is working well for you!

The next v3 beta will also have a new "projective" option that should be helpful for placing just one piece on to a more localized target area, there are some examples of it here:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=4471.15

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Thanks for the nice comments guys. Bummed I can't cut stuff at the moment..l.got my machine in storage..temp living quarters at the moment, I don't think the folks underneath us would go for running a small cnc in apt, nor the fiance. Picked up a carvewright in 08 and got higly addicted..that got me into modelling...least I can model..making the patterns is as fun as carving them but it is a rush to see something you designed come to life in wood.

When I got into modelling a couple years ago I was salvating watching the artcam demos on you tube...but no way I was gonna pay like 9k for a hobby, I ended up with zbrush, Moi and Silo..now debating about modo. I got my hands on an artcam demo and was way disappointed with it. The learning curve is WAY higher with nurbs or poly's but you can do so much more Imo once you get the hang of it. Man 9k vs 1k..no brainer and more features.

MajicMike - I had Moi sinve v1...I started doing alot more with it and was kinda in a rut and then bang you post all these tutorials and boom the lightbulbs go off...keep,m coming...your wife better get you a copy for xmas.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4514.8 In reply to 4514.7 
Looks very nice...

Peace,
Rich_Art. ;-)

| C4DLounge.eu | Our Dutch/Belgium C4D forum. Cinema4D R12 Studio + VrayForC4D + UVLayout Pro + 3DCoat
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4514.9 In reply to 4514.1 
Hi jpaluck,

I can't agree more with you, this new flow command and option Michael is working on are a life simplifier for this kind of work. The decoration is very beautiful and the rendering is simply awsome.

If it's not to much to ask, can you share a little on how you created "la piece de resistance" (central part) of this beautiful molding?

Thanks,
Felix
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Felix

Hope this helps you..not much of tutorial writer...lol more of a watcher and reader of them. The screenshot is kinda the basics of what I did. I do have some sloppy modeling habits sometimes, meaning like in this one everything is not water tight. This model for example I take to zbrush and make an alpha. Then drag a plane out in zbrush, subdivide 7 times and then place the alpha on the plane via projection master..then smooth sculpt whatever..then export out as obj and convert to stl...the mesh is heavy but they all are most of the time for cnc patterns.

I am now trying to figure out to make scrolls in moi...I figure it can be done with sweeps for the most part...LOL trial and error. If anyone knows an easy way to do these I would love to know...some much info on 3d modelling out there but little on 2.5d...I am always trying to stay to say 1 inch in depth so it gets tricky.

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4514.11 In reply to 4514.10 
No, your tutorial is just fine JPALuck!
I too was wondering how you made that neat fleurette thing.
Thanks for sharing!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4514.12 In reply to 4514.11 
Thanks JPALuck,

your suggestions (hints) are just fine.

Edit: I was so focus on the fleurette thing as MagicMike calls them that I didn't even see the scroll. I'm also trying to learn how I could design such thing and for the same reason, CNC. I'm a newbie at all this kind of intricate 3D stuff and I admit I have a hard time figuring out how to incorporate the use of tools such as blend, loft and network but I'll get there someday. I think your scroll gave me an idea which goes basically like this, as you did, create the basic surfaces and or solid and "blend" then together either using the blend command, boolean diff and or trim. I'll give it a try and let you know how it works.

Many thanks for sharing,
Felix

EDITED: 19 Sep 2011 by FELIX

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4514.13 In reply to 4514.12 
Felix

Here is my first scroll. Made primarialy with 2 rail sweeps. I have been making cnc clip art for a while now and have avoided the scrolls...hard to do making carving patterns. I always had some kinda mental block with them. Ask me to them in quads and I'm stumped..lol. Anyways here is the first. Not totally happy with it but a good start. After MOI took to zbrush for some smothing.

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
jpaluck - That is really nice work.

I'd be curious to see a render without the Zbrush smoothing just to get an idea what the raw MoI model produced.

Also, how well can your machine reproduce that kind of geometry in wood? I'd like to see some photos of CNC work you've done in wood from MoI models.

Ed
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4514.15 In reply to 4514.14 
Thanks Ed

Unfortunatly my machine is in storage right now - which is driving me nut. This scroll I made had to go to zbrush for smoothing. There were too many parts not joined...my sloppy modeling, I was driving myself nuts about joining things but figured the zbrush route sometimes is quicker....besides smoothing the areas out it exports as one mesh ready to be converted to .stl. I took a screen shot of the Carvewright software..they use a propriatary file type..ptn..but you can import an .stl. Carvewrights software makes it really simple for a beginner..kinda of exactly like the WYSIWYG of cnc. The way the scroll looks on the virtual board is pretty much exactly how it will carve...there is never much of a difference if any at all. It pretty precise.

To go from moi to machine the model has to be watertight and then there is no issue. Pretty much what you model will carve exactly like you see it. I have gotten use to how much detail to throw in..meaning the carving bit is 1/6 so that is the limitation for detail. I can go crazy in zbrush with small details..but they wont come out...kinda got a feel for it with trial and error..and a lot of sawdust. I have carved some stuff straight from Moi that wasn't joined..a fluer de lis..and I got these small spiky things in the CW software...they were 1/64 thick or smaller...carved it anyway and they never came through..too small, it carved just fine. All the carvings for the most part need a minor sanding..fuzzies produced..generally a coat of sanding sealer and they come right off.

As far as pics I just got a new computer...had to break down and get the modelling set-up - but I have to go through the old box and get a bunch of stuff off it...I will throw some pics then

Hope this helps you out.

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4514.16 In reply to 4514.15 
Here's my scroll shot..

EDITED: 19 Jun 2012 by BURRMAN

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
These last ones textures/Material are true candy gems !
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Nice looking Burr..way cleaner than mine..love the renders
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
mmm sorry BurrMan but
thats a wrong wood UVmapping
as wood fiber cannot follow the form like that
(or its a new unknow tree in plant species)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4514.20 In reply to 4514.19 
Mmmmmm, but the last few look like REAL milk chocolate. :-p..
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-20  21-22