Rail revolve question
All  1-4  5-10

Previous
Next
4508.5 In reply to 4508.4 
Hi Mike yeah the current method would not go away, just an alternate method would be used for some particular situations, like if you had selected more than one profile curve, or maybe if the rail curve was non-planar like mentioned in this thread.

It would be a kind of modified version of sweep because it would still incorporate a pivot around the revolve axis as it was doing the sweep.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Michael & Mike,

thanks to both of you.

This was more of a surprised then a problem. As you mention Michael, as it is the rail revolve uses a kind of radial scale (only) and it works fine (I like it a lot). Out of curiosity, instead of a sweep type method, would it be possible to scale radially (as it is) and scale say axially as well. It looks to me as if the operation is just discarting any metrics other then the radius value, the resulting object is exactly the same as if I used a planar rail.

Thanks,
Felix
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4508.7 In reply to 4508.5 
The other thing Rail revolve will do for you here, is create a curve you could extract from the surface to then run a network with the original rail and revolve curves...

The shape is a bit different , but may give you something to look at for now...

EDITED: 19 Jun 2012 by BURRMAN

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4508.8 In reply to 4508.6 
Hi Felix,

> Out of curiosity, instead of a sweep type method, would it be
> possible to scale radially (as it is) and scale say axially as well.

I'm not really sure if it's feasible to do that - the method that I was describing as scaling actually has to do with computing some particular weight values in the control point grid for the surface of revolution. That ends up having an effect that is similar to scaling the surface towards the axis at each control point of the rail, but I don't really know if it is feasible to control the scaling in some other way using the same method. I don't believe that other scaling directions are mentioned in the NURBS research literature for this type of NURBS surface creation.

This type of surface construction is also often called a "Swung surface" if you want to look up any research papers on it.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4508.9 In reply to 4508.8 
Michael,

earlier you said: "But it basically expects for the rail to be planar and perpendicular to the revolve axis, not to have the rail jumping around in 3D like that." When I used this jumping around 3D rail curve, rail revolve produced a shape as if the curve was planar to begin with. To me it seems like the Z value where simply not used or discarted since in this particular case the curve (rail) was drawn in the XY plane with varying Z values, the profile was in YZ plane and the revolve axis was in Z. I didn't save my work and lost it (power failure) but if you need, I can recreate my process and results.

I understand my rail as exactly the same X and Y coordinates as if I projected this curve on the XY plane and this is why I interpreted the result of rail revolved as if it discarted or didn't use the Z values. I just wanted to understand what was happening. Maybe I should have ask why the command didn't fail, since the rail curve wasn't planer?

As suggested, I did a search on "Swung surface" and most papers I've found are way out of my league but I saw a description of the functionality that is basically the same as what you describe earlier. I even found that NURBS is much older then I would have thought since it was first implemented in Fortran.

Thanks Michael, I learned a few things,
Felix
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
4508.10 In reply to 4508.9 
Hi Felix,

> To me it seems like the Z value where simply not used or discarted
> since in this particular case the curve (rail) was drawn in the XY
> plane with varying Z values, the profile was in YZ plane and the
> revolve axis was in Z.

Yeah I believe that's how the Swung surface method works - I think it bases the weighting factor by the distance from the rail's control point to the center axis which basically has the result of ignoring z values.

> Maybe I should have ask why the command didn't fail, since the
> rail curve wasn't planer?

It's because the geometry library routine that generates these swung surfaces does not give back an error result when given a non-planar rail curve, it just produces the result that you saw.

> I even found that NURBS is much older then I would have
> thought since it was first implemented in Fortran.

Yes, most of the research and base level work comes from the 1960s and 70s.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-4  5-10