Failure of Arc-Tan command or useful feature?

Next
Hi Michael,

I have found out that MoI isn't able to create an arc of specified radius tangent to two circles if I pick a quadrant of circle as a first and second point. I guess it should ... Of course, the arc can be created by picking somewhere between that points.

Petr
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
447.2 In reply to 447.1 
Well, in this case, the arc between quads would be a straight line, which isn't a arc ( Well, it is a arc, for a circle with infinite radius! )
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
447.3 In reply to 447.1 
Hi Petr, this one will be a bit difficult to fix up.

For arc or circle tangent, there are usually multiple possible solutions of the given radius - the points that you pick are used as seed points that then converge on a solution local to those points.

But when you pick on the quadrants in the case you show, that is the exact boundary between the case for getting the small arc like you show versus getting the larger arc like this:

Clicking exactly on the boundary area tends to confuse things, you need to pick more on one side of the "hump" or the other to disambiguate which solution you prefer.

It would be possible for me to make this situation work better, but it will take a fair amount of work so I will probably procrastinate on that for quite a while. But thanks for reporting it though.

- Michael
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All