Tangent Arc?

Next
Hello,

I'd like to see if it is possible to create a tangent arc like this in MoI (one sided)? I'm probably missing something obvious. Thanks.
Image Attachments:
Size: 90.2 KB, Downloaded: 40 times, Dimensions: 1041x1092px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4457.2 In reply to 4457.1 
Hi OSTexo - that's an arc of a specific radius tangent to just one line?

You wouldn't use the Arc tangent command in MoI to create something tangent to just one line because that command in MoI is for creating arcs tangent to 2 or 3 curves simultaneously.

You can create an arc tangent to just one curve by using the regular arc from center point command and place the center point of the arc perpendicular from the line you want to be tangent with.

There are a couple of different ways that you can place the center point. If you know you want it for example 52 units displaced in the y direction you can use a relative point input to do that. To do that type in r0,52 before placing the center point of the arc and the center point will be displaced by that 0,52 vector from the point you snap on to.

Another way to do it is to activate distance constraint by typing in 52 and pushing enter, then drag out a construction line - there will be an End snap on the construction line at a distance of 52 units away from the place you dragged it off from.

You'll probably need to make the arc slightly longer than the target edge and then trim it off.

Let me know if none of these methods works for you or if I have misunderstood what you are trying to do.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4457.3 In reply to 4457.1 
Hi OSTexo, in the future I could see tweaking the arc continue tool to allow for building this - that's the one that tries to make it easy to make an arc tangent to just one curve.

But it more oriented towards letting you pick the end point of the arc and automatically figuring out the radius based on that end point instead of letting you constrain the radius.

But for now using arc from center point and placing the center point perpendicular to the tangent edge should construct what you need.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hello,

It is easy to draw tangent arcs and tangent lines in Spaceclaim because they have specific tools for such tasks and I didn't want to have to bump between applications if I was missing something obvious in MoI. Sorry for the poor explanation, I think you understand the nature of my question. I'm just becoming spoiled with the ease of use in MoI, I really like staying in the app as much as possible, although SCE has some very strong tools. Thanks.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
4457.5 In reply to 4457.4 
Hi OSTexo, it's not really particularly difficult to draw that in MoI either - it only takes a couple of seconds.

You can just use the regular arc from center point tool, type in the radius value that you want and drag out a construction line to get a snap point for where to place the center point.

Then you just pick the center point, pick the point on the curve and you're drawing a tangent arc at that point.

I can probably streamline things just a bit with arc continue, but with the above process you're talking about something that's pretty easy to do already...

Let me know if the steps that I've described here aren't making sense and I can make a demo video for you.

But I will also see about tuning up arc continue to increase the convenience factor a bit further. It's not like this will be a very dramatic improvement though - it will just avoid creating a construction line.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All