beginner question

Next
Hello

I have very little experience with 3d modelling software, I've been trying out Moi3d as it looks like it should be perfect for what I'm doing (based on what I've seen others do with it). I'm just having difficulty with some of the tool functions. I've read the command tools reference page and it seems (though I'm obviously not) like I'm doing the right thing, but when I activate them, the Network tool for example, my model turns to mush. I get the feeling it's networking with points or lines across gaps it shouldn't but I can't work out exactly what I'm doing wrong. Can anyone offer some advice, or point me to place that can give me more information.

Kind regards

Jon
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4456.2 In reply to 4456.1 
Hi Jon, well the Network tool is one of the more advanced things in the toolset.

I would encourage you to skip that one for the time being and instead focus on some of the more simple tools like extrude, revolve, or sweep.

Network needs to have its input structured in a particular away - you need to have 2 sets of curve that cross each other and they need to cross each other in a regular pattern kind of similar to latitude and longitude lines on a globe of the world.

See this recent post for several links to examples of how you need to have the input curves arranged:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=4448.4

If you're still having problems with it, could you please post a 3DM model file that has the curves in it that you're trying to Network? That would make it possible for me to see what specific problem you are running into and I could then give you some more targeted advice.

But really the Network command is for making a kind of custom styled swoopy surface - that's fundamentally a more difficult task than making more regular shaped pieces like an extruded block or a revolved shape. I'd recommend trying to work with some of those other tools for a while to get more familiar with how MoI works overall instead of trying to jump into using one of the more difficult tools right off the bat.

Also really the best way to get started with the basics is to watch the tutorial videos here:
http://moi3d.com/2.0/docs/tutorials.htm

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4456.3 In reply to 4456.2 
Hi Michael

thanks for your reply, the links look like helpful reading. If I'm still struggling, I'll post a drawing.

Thanks again

Jon
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4456.4 In reply to 4456.3 
Hi again Michael

just a quick update, your advice and the links were very helpful. There's a long way to go but I'm making some headway now.

Kind regards

Jon
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
4456.5 In reply to 4456.4 
I'm glad those helped Jon!