Previous
Next
4452.10 In reply to 4452.9 
Hi Ed, that's a nice looking result!

> Is there a way to apply a scale factor so that I can work
> in actual dimensions, yet have the model larger so these
> kinds of issues can be avoided? If not, I guess I can work
> in feet rather than inches.

No there's nothing quite exactly like that - usually the closest thing is to work in a different unit system that will give you larger numeric values instead of small number values.

I am generally trying to make things adapt themselves to smaller sized objects though, by adjusting the tolerance to be a fraction of the object's size instead of having it at a fixed value. Some things are on that system already and some other things still need to be switched over.

The relative tolerance system still needs a bit of adjusting for it to work better on smaller sized objects - I think it needs to be tightened down a little bit more than where it is currently. It's a kind of finicky area to get right - if the tolerance is too tight things will produce too dense of results making for large file sizes and long calculation times. If it's too loose things sag too much and that causes problems.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4452.11 In reply to 4452.1 
Hi Ed
I am very impressed with what you are trying to achieve , its very sinple but elegant.
Can you tell me how you bend the finished profiles around onto the ring surface
I am new to moi and this could work well with lettering also

thanks
shayne
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4452.12 In reply to 4452.11 
Shayno -

The hearts design is formed around the ring using the Flow command that is new to the just-released Version 3 Beta of Moi. See:

http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=4438.1

The design was extruded, flowed onto ring, Boolean Diff, and fillet applied to round all edges.

Ed

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4452.13 In reply to 4452.12 
Thanks Ed
I just figured that out (having just downloaded v3 beta)
So the rectangular box you drew aligns to the ring surface leaving 1/2 of the pattern intersecting into the ring (like the gem array command) Thats a clever feature

I just now need to figure how to import all my settings and shortcuts from moi2 so I don't have to set up from scratch

cheers
shayne
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4452.14 In reply to 4452.13 
Yes - The rectangle plane (called the Base Surface) is the width of the ring and its length is pi x diameter of the ring.

The extruded hearts design must intersect the Base Surface so that it will intersect the Target Surface (the ring surface) by the same amount.

Apply the Flow command and Boolean Diff the wrapped design leaving the design recessed into the ring. Finally, apply Fillet to the ring.

Ed
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4452.15 In reply to 4452.14 
Thanks Ed
How do you control the direction the flow goes on
I did a test word that insists on flowing across the ring not around it (no matter where I select the parts)
I'm stumped

ps for Michael
After assigning objects a name you cannot click on their name in the object area to select them

thanks
shayne

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
4452.16 In reply to 4452.15 
Hi shayne,

> How do you control the direction the flow goes on
> I did a test word that insists on flowing across the ring
> not around it (no matter where I select the parts)
> I'm stumped

Right now it always maps from the built-in UV direction of one surface to the UV direction of the other surface.

In your particular case the U and V directions on the revolved piece are reversed from what you need.

To fix this currently you need to alter your base surface - try squishing it to be narrow and tall and then rotate it 90 degrees and then use it as the base surface.

I am working on a way to control how the surfaces relate to one another more easily for the next v3 beta.

> After assigning objects a name you cannot click on their
> name in the object area to select them

There's a new selection indicator area at the right-hand side of the name - click there now to do the selection. See here for an example:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=4438.21

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-9  10-16