Make It With MoI
 1-20  …  101-120  121-140  141-160  161-174
Thread Split: Some posts in this thread have been moved here

Previous
Next
4388.141 In reply to 4388.140 
Thank you Luca!!!

You gotta hand it to Michael, what other 3D program lets you work on-the-fly with your model in such style?

Burr, thanks! But that's what I did: (??) I made the star wheel with filleted corners, unioned in the thumb extension, extruded the shape and... all sizzle and no steak. :-(

There must have been some kind of overlapping or too sharp of a line direction change somewhere.

I'll take another stab at it for practice sake.
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Wow!!! Thanks so much for posting all this stuff. Really fantastic!!!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
I agree with Jim - really nice tutorial.

This thread is getting kinda long. For easier searching and reading, I'd recommend starting a new thread with new subject line for each project.

Keep 'em coming :)

Ed
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4388.144 In reply to 4388.143 
Thanks for the great encouragement guys!

I concur with that notion, ed. I'll go ahead and make a separate thread for any new projects.
I should also make a page on my site for Michael to link to in the tutorials (Resources) page.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Announcement::::

From now on, I'll be posting tutorials and project of interest to MoI users in separate forum entries, to make navigating simple.

All my tutorials in their associated MoI3D forum entries will now also be linked from the following page on my site:

http://k4icy.50webs.com/tutorials.html

Michael,

Could you please add this link to the tutorials section in your Resources page?

Thanks,

Mike
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4388.146 In reply to 4388.145 
Hi Magic,

""""""Burr, thanks! But that's what I did: (??) I made the star wheel with filleted corners, unioned in the thumb extension, extruded the shape and... all sizzle and no steak. :-("""""""""

Burr wrote:

Make star wheel (Note, NO filleted corners on star), Union thumb extension, extrude the shape, "FILLET SOLID NOW".....
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4388.147 In reply to 4388.146 
Silly Fillet tool. ;-)

Thanks Burr!

Easier for Fillets to be figured from multiple connecting segments that are more straight, then from tight bends, I guess.
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4388.148 In reply to 4388.145 
Hi Mike,

> Could you please add this link to the tutorials section
> in your Resources page?

Thanks for putting them all together on your own site! I've added a link to your page on the MoI Resources page.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4388.149 In reply to 4388.148 
Thank you Michael!!!!

This is awesome! :-D
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4388.150 In reply to 4388.147 
Hi Mike,

> Easier for Fillets to be figured from multiple connecting
> segments that are more straight, then from tight bends, I guess.

Yeah that can happen - basically when you have all sharp edges being filleted all at once, the fillet mechanism will basically know up front that there will need to be a corner patch built at the spot where the fillet surfaces come together.

If you have some pieces already filleted and then try to fillet more ones that are colliding into those with the same radius, you basically have a lot more little surface pieces involved and that makes things more complex. It will end up trying to do things like building fillet surfaces between some of those already existing fillet surfaces rather than knowing right away to do corner patches instead.

So if you want to put the same radius on everything it can be good to do it all at once rather than some pieces at a time. If you're doing things with different radius values then do the big radius values first and then the smaller ones after.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4388.151 In reply to 4388.150 
Thanks Michael,
I'm in awe that there is something new (to me) to learn everyday with MoI. Especially when you get into the UI and scripting.
Thanks for the explanation - that actually makes a lot of sense after getting to know NURBS construction a little.

Mike
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4388.152 In reply to 4388.138 
Hello,
I'm a new user, sorry for the question.. How exactly did you make the cut in the path? see the image
Thank you
Franz

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4388.153 In reply to 4388.152 
Hi Franz - Select both curves and do a mutual trim, remove the top two lines which will leave a |_| shape, then do a fillet on that shape and you should then get the outline curves you are looking for.

Martin
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4388.154 In reply to 4388.153 
Hello Martin, many thanks... I didn't understand that I have to select the "entire" joined curved and then Moi asked me to select the vertices... now it looks obviuos...
I have downloaded MoI 2.5 trial some days ago and I'm looking for tutorials and examples to learn t use it. I will continue trying to follow this tutorial, may I ask you something else if (surely) I will need?

thank you
ciao Franz
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4388.155 In reply to 4388.154 
Just ask away, if I can't help, there are more here who will respond too. Have fun with MoI, it's a wonderful tool, but it does take a little getting used to it, and we all understand that.

Martin
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Pekeron, good luck with your learning of MoI!

When I produced my tutorials I was also learning how to use MoI at the same time. There are many smaller procedures that were not included.

Simply post your modeling question to the Forum and someone is sure to tackle it for you.

I have realized that MoI, with all it's simplicity has a lot of subtle rules that are not in any books, but are better learned through experience and use.
It's user interface isn't overloaded with mysterious icons and menus, so it is only as complex as you need it to be according to your level of expertise.
That's one beauty of MoI - it's intuitive enough so that many of the more esoteric procedures and methods for modeling are learned cumulatively by trial and error, and not so much by official instruction or course.
Every few days or so I still learn some new little part of MoI. After a year and all my tutorials, I just recently learned how to use C-Plane and Silhouette.

I'll be making more tuts in good time, but at the moment I'm engrossed in a more complex design/art project. I've been working on it for a month now and the end product is not as close as I'd like it to be.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4388.157 In reply to 4388.156 
Hi Mike, yeah that's basically become the primary strategy - trying to get something that hopefully lets you get stuff done initially but that has enough depth that you can gain efficiency with it over time as you learn various nuances.

The tricky part can be that some kinds of models are just inherently more challenging than others, especially ones where there is more stuff swooping around in 3D and not as heavily based off of 2D curve construction. There is just more stuff to absorb for those kinds of things before being able to make things work.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4388.158 In reply to 4388.157 
Hi all, many thanks for your help:)
I have a problem with the second step. When I Boolean Union the two pieces they don''t become really "united", I can delete one of the part and the first image shows what remains. I have tried also with Merge but the result is the same. I think this is the reason why I can't fillet the intersection.
Franz
Image Attachments:
Size: 71 KB, Downloaded: 13 times, Dimensions: 1131x772px
Size: 80.7 KB, Downloaded: 18 times, Dimensions: 1113x709px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4388.159 In reply to 4388.158 
Hi Franz, is it possible that one of your objects is not a fully closed solid? When you select them, what does the object type in the upper right area of the window read (in the panel that shows the properties of the current selection) - does it say "Joined srf" or "surface" or "solid".

The result that you show in your screenshot could be the kind of thing that you get when you try to boolean with a not fully closed object, if the intersection does not form a closed loop instead of cutting a spot out it can basically leave an imprint of an inifinitely thin slit instead.

It's hard to know for sure though just by looking at the screenshot - often times if you have a question about a particular situation it can really help if you also post the 3DM model file with actual geometry in it along with your question as well, then it's possible for others to take a look at your objects, zoom in and examine things from different angles, etc...

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4388.160 In reply to 4388.159 
Hi Michael,
the first object (the big one) is a "solid", the second one is a "joined srf". I post the 3dm file, many thanks.
Franz
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-20  …  81-100  101-120  121-140  141-160  161-174