Modify seam point
All  1  2-12

Previous
Next
4377.2 In reply to 4377.1 
No special problem with a Sweep 2 rail :)
I have selected the 2 little profils then the 2 rails
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4377.3 In reply to 4377.2 
Pas de chance ici ... No luck here ...

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4377.4 In reply to 4377.3 
Sorry i don't know what say :(
Wait the Michael suggestion :)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4377.5 In reply to 4377.4 
hi ditto

no problem with the sweep here either! 1. two profiles -> 2. two rails..but there seems to be something odd about your Sweep-dialog..i cant see the cap ends-option in your screenshot. why is that?

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4377.6 In reply to 4377.5 
Hi Marco,

Thanks for this. Very strange, indeed... I have received my license on Mai, 10th from Michael. It says version 2.0.2010.527 in the properties details of the program file. Could you check the version that you run? Frenchy, you also possibly ?

Thanks,
Ditto
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4377.7 In reply to 4377.6 
27 may 2010 2.0 no post number
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4377.8 In reply to 4377.1 
Hi Ditto,

> Is there a way to adjust the seams of closed curves?

There is in some commands like Loft for example - in the final stage of loft some points will appear at the seam locations and you can drag them around to modify them.

But it's assumed that this is not necessary for Sweep - so far I don't think I've seen a situation where it's needed for sweep since sweep is able to do a better job of knowing how the profiles are supposed to relate to one another than Loft.

Like the others above, I also tried your attached file and can't seem to find any problem with it.

Looking at your screenshot, it appears that you may be selecting the curves in the opposite order? I mean it looks like you have selected the long curves as the profiles to sweep and then the smaller closed curves as the rails, rather than selecting the long curves as the rails.

I'm able to get the same result that you show only when I select the curves in the wrong order like that.

Note that the sequence of how you select the curves is different between MoI and Rhino - in Rhino you select the rails first and in MoI you instead select the profiles first. It's set up that way in MoI to improve overall consistency between how profile curves are selected in various commands - for example with the Extrude command you select the profile to extrude and then do the stuff for controlling the extrusion distance. So to maintain general consistency Sweep also selects the profile curves first (you can actually select them before even starting the sweep command) and then does stuff for how to sweep those profiles as the second step.

There are several areas like that where I've tried to correct some inconsistencies in the command flow that I originally designed with Rhino.

So anyway, to get a good sweep do the following steps - first select the 2 smaller closed curves. Then run the Construct > Sweep command. Now the prompt in the upper-right area of the window will say "Select rails" - now select the 2 long curves as the rails and right-click, that should generate the sweep how you want it.

If you start by selecting the 2 long curves as the profiles and the small curves as the paths to sweep around you will get the messed up result.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4377.9 In reply to 4377.8 
... Japanese Bow ...

That was it. I messed up the order. Now the sweep is almost fine. Almost, because despite the Cap selected, my sweep only caps one side, not the other. But that is just a minor issue, a split and mirror will easily fix.

Thanks to you all!

Ditto
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4377.10 In reply to 4377.9 
Hi Ditto, you'll only get caps on ends that are closed and planar. It looks like your end profile is closed, but not planar, if I zoom in on the Top view (you have to zoom in a ways) you can kind of see that there appears to be some out of plane curvy-ness to it:

It's kind of easiest to flatten such things out when they're axis aligned because you can just grab the corner grip on the edit frame and squish it to get the "flat" snap. But it is also possible to flatten something that is non-axis aligned by using the Scale1D command though, as shown here:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=4336.7

I used that Scale1D technique to flatten that profile down to be planar, and now it should generate an end cap on that side - 3DM file is attached here.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4377.11 In reply to 4377.5 
Hi Marco,

> 2. two rails..but there seems to be something odd about
> your Sweep-dialog..i cant see the cap ends-option in your
> screenshot. why is that?

That was because of the small closed curves being used as the rails - when you have closed rails the "End caps" option is not displayed because with the sweep being a closed surface there are no open ends to cap off.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
4377.12 In reply to 4377.10 
Hi, Michael

Thanks a ton. Things are getting clearer and clearer. The differences in selection order were clearly my problem. Somewhat automatically I choose the wrong one for MoI.

Thanks to all for your help!
Ditto
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1  2-12