Sketch Tool

Next
Hi,

While using the sketch tool, maybe the automatic dragging of object could be temporarily disabled?
I often drag objects unintentionally while trying to draw a line near another one.

Also having the right click temporarily disabled while using sketch would be nice.
When using a tablet, accidentally hitting the right click in the middle of a mile long path can be a bit frustrating.

I use Moi's sketch tool surprisingly often to trace stuff, I like it more than other vector tools, it usually generates better curves and b'splines are more fun than bezier for tweaking shapes in my opinion.

Marc
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4364.2 In reply to 4364.1 
Hi Marc,

> While using the sketch tool, maybe the automatic
> dragging of object could be temporarily disabled?

It actually should do that already - while you are in the Sketch command you are not supposed to be able to select or drag objects with the mouse.

Are you possibly running into this when you've got the "Repeat" checkbox enabled and you're rapidly sketching a number of curves in sequence? It looks like in that case if you do a drag in the small window of time after the current Sketch command ends and before it automatically restarts then it is possible to get object selection going - to avoid this for now pause for just a moment in between brush strokes when you are using repeat mode. I'll take a look at tuning this up so that it doesn't happen with rapid brush strokes though.

> Also having the right click temporarily disabled while using
> sketch would be nice.

I'll take a look at that too.

> b'splines are more fun than bezier for tweaking shapes in my opinion.

Yeah, it's kind of surprising to me that 2D illustration programs never transitioned from Beziers to NURBS since they are related technologies. Basically NURBS builds on top of Beziers and makes it possible to have a smooth curve with more than 4 control points in it. Beziers work more like a bunch of little 4 point curves kind of pasted together at their endpoints and that segmentation kind of ends up showing up in the shape since there is a kind of break in a certain kind of smoothness (curvature) in between the segments.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Michael, You're right, It must've been in between commands.

I did'nt notice the repeat option, I think this will actually help this situation, reducing chances of being in select mode inadvertently.

-> 2D illustration programs never transitioned from Beziers to NURBS

Expression 3.3 did have Bsplines, I think corel has it also.

Thanks!

Marc

EDITED: 4 Jul 2011 by TELLIER

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4364.4 In reply to 4364.3 
Hi Marc, I was able to get these sketch things tuned up for v3.

So for v3 once you have started a sketch brush stroke, if you right click during the stroke it will just be ignored instead of canceling the command like it does currently. If you right-click before you even start the brush stroke though it will cancel then.

Also in v3 when auto-repeat is turned on (when the little "Repeat" checkbox is checked) it should not matter how quickly you make brush strokes - currently if you do them too quickly it can exit auto repeat mode.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
4364.5 In reply to 4364.4 
Thanks Michael!!

Marc