My first lesson with Moi3D

Next
Hi everybody from France,

I'm french and since months i use to read you all on this forum, and all your work made me love 3d especially Michael with his fabulous software.

So last month i've bought Moi3D and it's a real pleasure to play with it to create simple and complex objects.

Well, for my first attempt i've tried to create this simple dice and rendered it with KeyShot2.

One question : how could i do to bevelled a little bit more just the angles ?

Thanks for your replies
Attachments:

Image Attachments:
Size: 171.6 KB, Downloaded: 70 times, Dimensions: 1600x903px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hello

There is a French section here ;)
Just select edges and apply function fillet with a radius adapted ;)

Pour les arrondis, il suffit de sélectionner les arêtes, et d'appliquer la commander Congé avec un rayon pas trop important ;)
Mais comme ils sont déjà faits il va falloir les supprimer! Donc Exploser le modèle, refermer les arêtes et donner un rayon plus fort
sans atteindre non plus les points marqués sur les faces :)

Mes petites vidéos en français;) http://moi3d.com/forum/messages.php?webtag=MOI_FRANCAIS&msg=239.1

EDITED: 15 Jun 2011 by PILOU

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4335.3 In reply to 4335.1 
Hi Talougo, welcome to the forum and I'm glad that you are having fun with MoI!

> One question : how could i do to bevelled a little bit more just the angles ?

Do you mean you want to apply a new bevel to the sharp corners on the red cutout areas? Or that you want to change the beveling that is already applied on to the outer edges of the cube?

For the first one you can select all the red faces by going to the scene browser and clicking the text "Rouge" under the Styles section, and then run the Fillet command to put a rounded edge on those - it will be limited to a pretty small radius value because there isn't much space available in some areas like here for example:

The fillet will need to be small enough in radius to fit within that space there.

For the second kind - editing the fillet that has already been applied to the outer edges - that's not quite so easy to do in MoI currently. That kind of deeper history editing is something that I want to make easier in the future (like being able to edit the radius and have the fillets recalculate). But for now it is easiest if you go back to some previous saved version of the model before you applied the fillets and then apply the fillet to them again. If you don't have a previous version, it is possible to remove the current fillets by deleting them and then doing an "untrim" of the faces to restore them.

There is a tutorial on that kind of delete and untrim mechanism here:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=446.17

In your case here what you would do would be to first delete the fillets, leaving empty areas like this:

Then select the edges around the outer boundaries like this:

And then push Delete to remove that trimming boundary and recover the full underlying surface there - that will restore those planes to their original size:

After you have done that to all the pieces you can then select the pieces and use Edit > Join to join them all back together into a solid with sharp edges and then refillet them.

There is also a script that you can set up for selecting "naked" edges (edges that belong to only 1 surface instead of joined between 2 surfaces), which can help with selecting the edges in this case, to set up that script you can add in a shortcut key and put in the script shown here:
http://kyticka.webzdarma.cz/3d/moi/#SelectNaked

That way you can select all those edges to delete with just one shortcut key press.

Hope this helps!

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4335.4 In reply to 4335.3 
First off all thanks for your replies....

Well what i wish to do exactly is like the model on the image joint to this message.
Image Attachments:
Size: 69.3 KB, Downloaded: 50 times, Dimensions: 1006x1041px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4335.5 In reply to 4335.4 
Hi Talougo - for something like that you might try creating both a box and a sphere around the same point, like this:

Then select one object, and run the Construct > Boolean > Intersect command, then select the other object and right-click or push "Done" to finish the command.

The Boolean Intersection command will generate a result that has the common volume between the 2 shapes, which will look like this:

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Michael
Hope Talougo wanted to say this...
but I have a great difficulty to realize it..
Can you show how to do it ?
best
al
Attachments:

Image Attachments:
Size: 164 KB, Downloaded: 93 times, Dimensions: 1600x1200px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4335.7 In reply to 4335.6 
Hi speedy,

Yes indeed that's exactly what i would like to do.

Thanks
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
4335.8 In reply to 4335.6 
Hi Al - to fill in an area like that really needs a NURBS tool called "N-sided patch" which MoI does not currently have.

The easiest way to get what you show there done right now would be to use Rhino along with MoI and bring the model into Rhino and use its N-Sided patch tool to fill that in.

I want to add that tool into MoI in the future - it tends to be a kind of finicky tool to get right though, it tries to kind of warp a single surface into place and it's difficult to get a mechanism that does not make waves and undulations in the generated surface.

But instead of leaving that kind of empty hole to fill you can get a similar kind of result using the boolean intersection method I showed earlier - instead put some fillets on the box part before you do the intersection something like this:

Then apply some fillets to round off some of the sharp edges:

It's not the exact same shape as the method you showed, but it's pretty close and it's a lot easier to create. It's really difficult to fill in a hole like the one you show there without N-Sided patch, so if that's the one that you really need then your best bet would be to use Rhino along with MoI to get that result.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All