Suggestion(s) please??
All  1-9  10-13

Previous
Next
4325.10 In reply to 4325.1 
Hi Felix, also see this previous post for a bit of explanation on the differences between Sweep and Network:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=3081.23

There are several situations where you can use the same curve setup for either one, but they create the surface in somewhat different ways.

Sweep works by actually sliding the profile along the rails - it will tend to maintain a more rigid shape of the profile.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4325.11 In reply to 4325.10 
Hi Michael,

when I say it's "annoying" I mean not knowing for sure if it's some artifacts or something else. Hope I didn't shock anyone with this, I just keep forgetting about it.

Thanks Michael and everyone else for that matter,
Felix
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi All, Hi Mickael...

Is there a specifical tool in MoI to clean up a model from every Old operations that might have been done on it. I was thinking of something close to the "Reset X form" In 3ds MAX.

Let me explain: I'm actualy working on technical Pieces of engineering that I was given. But Those pieces Have been done With Pro Engineer. I Intend to animate and render those models in 3ds Max. But I have to soften rough edges first. Most of the time when I try to create some fillet on Edges, I encounter many problems, like rubish Lignes appearing. It Sounds to come from old Booleen Operations. It Always remains actions from the previous CG artist.
Maybe something else allowing us to intervene on the previous Actions...

I'm running out of ideas to solve my problem... What Shall I do ?

Thanks

Sevy
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
4325.13 In reply to 4325.12 
Hi Sevy, is it possible for you to post your model file that you're having problems with so I can see what is going on for your particular situation?

There are many possible things that can go wrong with Fillet - things like if there is self-intersecting surfaces in the area to be filleted, if you're trying to do a fillet of a larger radius than there is available room for it to fit. Also some situations like if you have edges that come close to being smooth to one another but actually something like 5 degrees off of tangent instead of actually smooth can make things more difficult for the filleter.

It's hard to know what particular kind of problem you might be running into without seeing the model file.

> Maybe something else allowing us to intervene on the
> previous Actions...

It is possible to remove the surfaces from a previous boolean operation - for that you delete those faces and then do some "untrim" operations on the areas that were cut to restore the original underlying surfaces there. Sometimes you then may need to retrim the surfaces.

There is a tutorial on that kind of object repair mechanism here:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=446.17

Fillet though is in general a sensitive operation - it involves a sequence of complex operations like producing offset surfaces, intersecting those surfaces to build fillet rails, building fillet surfaces, intersecting those fillet surfaces with each other where they collide, and building corner patch areas. Each of those operations is pretty complex. So Fillet does not tolerate messy geometry very well. If you get extra lines appearing, that can mean that the stage of intersecting fillet surfaces with each other did not work right - that's something that becomes more difficult to calculate if you've got the kind of situation where 2 things are coming close to being smooth to each other but are 5 to 10 degrees off of tangent instead of actually smooth - those kinds of grazing tangent surface intersections are more difficult to calculate.

If you have a model that has messy geometry like that, it may need to be rebuilt in order for it to be filleted more easily.

There is also another mode of the filleter that you can use if you have 2 individual surface selected instead of edges - that will generate what is called a surface/surface fillet that goes through a somewhat different process than the edge based filleter. Sometimes it is able to build some fillet surfaces in situations where the edge based one gets confused. To use this method you separate the model out into individual surfaces and build some fillet surfaces between 2 selected pieces at a time. This can require some more manual work though because it does not try to build corner patches like you would get where multiple edges come to a common point.

It's difficult to give you any very specific advice though without seeing the model that you're having problems with.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-9  10-13