Selecting stacked objets

Next
No luck with the search function, so here I go:

How can I select stacked objets? It seems that I am only able to select the top object by clicking. I am somewhat used to Rhino v5 WIP which presents a list of possible object when a selection is ambiguous.

Is there a MoI-way ?

Thanks,
Ditto
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4307.2 In reply to 4307.1 
Hi Ditto - MoI avoids putting that "choose one object" pop up menu on selections because it tends to be something that pops up all the time, kind of a constant irritating distraction.

In MoI the main way to select hidden objects is to just hide the object that is obscuring them so that they are no longer hidden.

Or sometimes a strategic window select can do the job, see here for some examples:

http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=1810.2
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=3324.4

Also selecting visible objects and doing an invert of the selection can sometimes be a good way to do it.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4307.3 In reply to 4307.2 
Thanks, Michael

Doodling around yesterday and I found another solution, you would call it bug, probably. It's not precise, nor reliable, but it appears to me that speed and direction of the approaching mouse pointer changes the selection behaviour. Sometimes Shift helps as well.

I was able to select from three stacked objects without hiding the top one(s). So I was sure that there is a magic selection mechanism, it just takes to know how it works. Too bad, I thought it was really cool!

Bye,
Ditto
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
4307.4 In reply to 4307.3 
Hi Ditto, yeah when the selection mechanism targets an object, it will go by what is the closest one to the mouse.

Stacked objects can have just very slightly different pixels drawn for them, especially if they are not totally identical like if one is some shorter fragment than the other. So slightly different pixels drawn on the screen for an object can result in that kind of behavior that you were seeing.

Usually it is a good idea to try and hide things that are getting stacked up though - try to get in a kind of habit of hiding things that may get in your way earlier rather than than later.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All