How do I view a cross section?

Next
I created a model with multiple pieces and want to show the fit via a cross section view. Some viewers I used in the past can do this. Is there something in MOI that allows me to cut the model for a 2D view?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4295.2 In reply to 4295.1 
Just draw a curve,or a line , follow the 2D wished and make Boleean Merge
So all your objects will be trimed
And you can hide, cut all that you don't want!

So you can see them in any 2D view as section needed
The browser can also help you for if you have name or colored your objets
you can make some combinaison of visibilities ;)

There is not yet real time "moving" section :)

You can make an export in SKP format to free Google Sketchup and you will have this cool function ;)
If you want keep Moi's groups make an 3ds export format to free Google Sketchup !
http://sketchup.google.com/intl/en/index.html

EDITED: 23 May 2011 by PILOU

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4295.3 In reply to 4295.1 
Hi Jeff, so there's a couple of different variations that you can do for making slices.

To start with like Pilou says you'll want to draw a line and then probably use Transfrom > Array > Dir to repeat the line to control where the sections will be at.

Then if you want to cut your objects up into solid slabs, you can use a boolean command to slice the object up by the lines, that looks something like this:

If you want to generate cross section slices as curves, then create that same kind of line pattern, but instead of doing a boolean select the lines and run the Construct > Curve > Project command. That will project the lines onto the objects that you select which will basically trace planar section curves.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4295.4 In reply to 4295.1 
Hi Jeff,

If you're wanting just basic 2d lines to check the fit between parts then I would suggest drawing a simple planar surface as your cutting plane 'Draw Solid>Plane' and using 'Construct>Curve>Isect' to create section lines, after doing that you can also select the plane and curves produced and enable history update 'Edit>History>Enable history update' in doing that you can move the cutting plane and the section curves will update accordingly.

Cheers
~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
4295.5 In reply to 4295.4 
That's exactly what I'm trying to do. That's an interesting approach. I'll try it.

Thanks
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All