Possible glitch??
All  1-3  4-11

Previous
Next
4290.4 In reply to 4290.3 
well..felix mentioned, that in the second case (black intersects red) "nothing is drawn", which isn't the case here.

even the first case won't generate a curve, as the curves are not on the same PLANE or are they?

quote:
2D curves that are all on a single plane will generate a curve result,..

cheers,
marco

EDITED: 22 May 2011 by MARCO

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
I believe that is because the red curve is a simple line!
If you add any little perpendicular line at the end of the red line and join it, that works :)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4290.6 In reply to 4290.1 
Hi Felix, yes the problem in this case is like Pilou says because the shape is a line.

A line does not itself define a single unique plane, and in this case the direction that was picked to project the line out from was the wrong direction for this case and did not intersect the projection of the other shape.

It basically tried to intersect things like this:

That is something that can be fixed up in the future for the Isect command, it should not be too difficult to figure out some special logic to handle the case of a line in a better way.

For now the solution that Pilou gives will work though - draw a little leg on the end of your line and join it to it so that it then the curve has a definite single plane to it and that will then work.

Thanks for reporting this glitch, I have put it on my list to tune up in v3.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4290.7 In reply to 4290.4 
Hi Marco,

> "2D curves that are all on a single plane will generate a curve result,.."

That's for the Boolean intersection command, where you can do something like boolean 2 circles that cross each other like this:

But the command Felix is talking about is actually not the boolean command, but the "create intersection curve" command which is under Construct > Curve > Isect :

This command is a separate function from the booleans - unlike the booleans it does not try to edit a shape by removing pieces from it, it is about generating curves where surfaces intersect each other. It can also can also generate the intersection curve between 2 perpendicular profile curves, basically by internally extruding them and intersecting the extrusions. There's an example here:
http://moi3d.com/2.0/docs/moi_command_reference7.htm#intersect

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4290.8 In reply to 4290.7 
hi michael

ah..silly me! i didn't thought of that command..gsus..thanks for clearing things up.

best wishes,
marco
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4290.9 In reply to 4290.6 
Hi Michael,

thanks for your lights.

Would it be possible to have an interface something like for extrude and possibly even better one "set dir" for each curve for the worst case scenario where each curve is a line and the "extrude dir is not perpendicular!

As a general rule I would think it's preferable to have some kind of feedback like for the extrude command and the possibility for the user to make choices instead of nothing happening and not knowing why. Just my penny.

I'd like your advice also for other "potential glitch" if ever one come by again, do you which we report then to you, to the forum or by pm.

Thanks again,
Felix
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4290.10 In reply to 4290.9 
Hi Felix,

> Would it be possible to have an interface something like for
> extrude and possibly even better one "set dir" for each curve
> for the worst case scenario where each curve is a line and the
> "extrude dir is not perpendicular!

You can actually just do an extrude if you want - extrude each curve out to a surface and then select the 2 surfaces and run the Isect command. That way you will be able to get the full Extrude interface because you'll really be using Extrude.

This command is meant to be a kind of a shortcut for the more simple situation where all that other interface stuff is not necessary...

> I'd like your advice also for other "potential glitch" if ever
> one come by again, do you which we report then to you, to
> the forum or by pm.

The forum is usually best, because then other people have a chance to find about about what a possible solution might be. If you have a file that you want to keep private then instead of posting on the forum you can e-mail it to me at moi@moi3d.com.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
4290.11 In reply to 4290.10 
Michael,

"You can actually just do an extrude if you want - extrude each curve out to a surface and then select the 2 surfaces and run the Isect command. That way you will be able to get the full Extrude interface because you'll really be using Extrude."

that's exactly what I meant and better yet, it's already implemented. A little but though, there is no way to figure this out from the help files...

Thanks
Felix
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-3  4-11