Extending UNDO

Next
Michael,
Is it possible to make UNDO work past a save? That is, UNDO clear into a previous session? I realize that this would take up a bunch of memory, but perhaps it could be set up so that all the UNDO information for an editing session is saved in a separate file when you do a save. You could could make it optional and also make it easy to delete UNDO files from within MoI.
Perhaps this could go on the wish list for V3.
Thanks,
Mark
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4280.2 In reply to 4280.1 
Hi Mark, yup an undo that persists between sessions is something that I've thought about before and that I want to try to implement in the future.

The tricky part about it is that the stored data may grow to be very large over time, and it's just a difficult task in general to efficiently process very large chunks of data. So it's an area that will need to be designed very carefully.

Because it will be a difficult area to implement well, I'm not sure if it will happen during v3 or not yet, but possibly.

I can tell you that it is something that I'm definitely interested in pursuing though.

I think if I can do it properly it may also be a big stepping stone to enabling a deeper history function to work better as well, since one of the parts about being able to apply a history update (like where you edit some of the original curves and then the pieces built from them update) involves having some storage of objects that may have been deleted from the current model, if they were part of the chain of actions that went into building the current final result. A persistent undo store could possibly work as the storage for this kind of purpose in addition to enabling just regular undo functions across sessions as well.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
4280.3 In reply to 4280.1 
Hi Mark,

Just to chip in, one work around that I use is the 'IncrementalSave' command where it saves your session at that point and places a number after the file name and you continue working until you decide you like to save again at a point after adding features etc. in this way you sort of have a history of files you can go back on and use copy and paste between them if you've modeled a certain feature you want to use on a previously saved state.

To use the IncrementalSave just place the command name in the keyboard shortcuts and assign a key combo to it, eg. I use Alt+s

-
~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All