Filleting & Matching a Cross Section
 1-20  21-24

Previous
Next
4271.21 In reply to 4271.20 
Hi Jeff,

> Is there a forum link regarding how to model a screw?
> I need to figure out how to make some to attach the neck
> and pickguard.

Well, to make the base shape you can draw a side profile and use the Construct > Revolve command.

For doing threads, see this for some links:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=4140.1

But one thing to keep in mind is that screw threads pretty detailed geometry, so you do not really want to model them on things that are not going to be visible, if you were to explicitly model every little tiny feature like every screw thread it will tend to create an extremely heavy model and a very large file size.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4271.22 In reply to 4271.21 
Thanks. I understand the heavy model issue. I'm just clueless as to how to model the screw threads so I want to learn. I'll check out the post.

I should work on the filleting issue first anyway. It seems to be a common issue for guitar modeling.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4271.23 In reply to 4271.22 
Hi Jeff,
So now that you have drawn the curve from that angled perspective for reverse engineering, you could try to switch to that cplane and view the curve from that particular angle, to see if you could recognize it as something other than arbitrary.. For instance, it may be very close to some radius value! Then you could make a determination that it "IS" truley a radius, and just draw that...

For added information...
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
4271.24 In reply to 4271.23 
Hello Burr,

I did look at is from the side view (basically what you are saying). I just rotated the 3D view until I could see the curve from the side.

It was an interesting revelation. It's pretty much as I thought the build process would go. It looks like it was either cut off or sanded flat then blended into the top and the bottom edge softened. I guess I could model it the same. cut it off with a plane and then ease the edges.

Thanks for your comments and insights.

Jeff
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-20  21-24