Advice for obj export to Modo :)

Next
Hi Folks,

Please could I ask for some advice when exporting via obj to Modo (or is there a better type to use?).

I exported my jetcar into Modo yesterday using obj and normals were flipped and bits were missing.. is there an approach I should follow to minimise or eradicate this issue?

Thanks in advance

Steve
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4258.2 In reply to 4258.1 
Hello!

i use allways the lwo-export... that works very good with modo!

n-gons... and high settings:-)

best regards

tijai
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4258.3 In reply to 4258.1 
Yup, LWO is the best way to transfer to Modo.

Also if you've made a model out of individual surfaces, make sure to join them together into a connected object before exporting - MoI will do extra work at joined edges to ensure the mesh is connected in those areas and that all joined pieces have the same normal orientation. Also it's best if you have joined pieces together into a solid because MoI knows to orient the normals of a solid towards the outside of the solid.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Thanks tijai and Michael.

Michael, where you say join as a solid, do you mean create additional sides so no open planes exist? In the case of my fuselage it is all open.

P.S. Joined the visible surfaces and exported as lwo and it was much better thanks. Some flipping required but was entire sections (e.g. wing, etc) instead of surfaces (e.g. wing top flipped and wing bottom not flipped).

Thanks again

Steve
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
4258.5 In reply to 4258.4 
Hi Steve,

> Michael, where you say join as a solid, do you mean create
> additional sides so no open planes exist?

Yup, it means having a completely connected skin so that there are no open edges that are not joined between 2 surfaces.

Once you make your object into a solid volume like that MoI will be able to automatically analyze it and determine which side of the object is pointing to the outside of the volume.

You don't have to do this, but it is a good step to do if possible - otherwise if you have an object that is an open surface instead of a closed volume MoI won't be able to automatically tell which side of it is supposed to be the outside of it and it will depend on things like which direction you happened to draw some of the initial curves in.

But yes even if it is not convenient to make a closed solid it is still good to join together adjacent surfaces into larger connected pieces - at least then the entire piece will be consistent.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All