Free Autodesk
 1-20  21-40  41-60  61-80  81-100  101-107

Previous
Next
4247.41 In reply to 4247.40 
Hi Pilou,

> Seems that for make boolean operations objects
> must be first components ! ?

A lot of "Mechanical CAD" programs don't really rely on booleans so much as you might use in MoI - instead they're generally more focused on creating a mechanical part by drawing some 2D sketches on different faces of the model and then creating a "feature" like an extrusion or a revolve that adds or removes material from the base part.

Some of these kinds of programs actually only focus on building 1 single object at a time in a "part modeler" and then you go to a separate "assembly modeler" program to bring all the parts together (although that's not the case with this particular program).

> From the video of the guitare at the end seems we can
> modify measures from enter numeric text
> Is that history ?

In this case it's not exactly history - it's more what is called a "constraint", although history can be used to make similar kinds of edits as well.

History is about maintaining the sequence of operations that went into building the model, and then when you change something those operations are recalculated to rebuild the model.

A "history free" or direct modeler like this Autodesk app works kind of differently - it makes modifications by directly analyzing the current model state (like figuring out how to extend surfaces and trim off pieces of the current model), instead of using the sequence of modeling operations.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4247.42 In reply to 4247.36 
Hi lyes,

> Interaction to draw a line you have to enter the sketch
> mode and select a plane and come out, to many process

Yeah, that kind of more formalized process with extra steps to specifically set up which plane you're drawing in is pretty normal with Mechanical CAD programs.

Another problem with it is not just extra steps but that you are not so free to just draw a line anywhere in 3D space that you might want it, for example in MoI you can go to the 3D view and draw in lines between any points that you want like this:

But that other kind of more formalized process is well suited for a different style of modeling, where you're more focused on having every aspect of the result controlled by specific dimensions and spacing from elements and stuff like that.

- Michael
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4247.43 In reply to 4247.41 
Exploring more the boolean operations can be made with or without components :)
In direct or after.

http://www.123dnews.com/storage/documents/Designing_in_Autodesk_123D_Overview.pdf

EDITED: 20 May 2011 by PILOU

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4247.44 In reply to 4247.43 
Hi Pilou - it looks like there is a "combine" command for doing booleans I guess?

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4247.45 In reply to 4247.44 
yes it was that :)
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4247.46 In reply to 4247.39 
Hi Nick,

> I want and like the info right where the mouse is so
> I don't have to switch focus between the mouse and
> info center. I find that incredibly distracting.

The problem with that is that if you are just trying to draw something where you're focused just on its shape and not wanting to enter in any numeric coordinates, having all those coordinate boxes floating around by your mouse doesn't give you any benefit and instead they actually detract from being able to clearly see the object's shape on the screen.

I mean I don't see how you could not consider this to be distracting and getting in the way:

It's pretty easy for HUD "Heads Up Display" to become more like IYF "In Your Face" in this way - in MoI there is generally an emphasis on not getting into the IYF level of stuff. This helps make MoI more friendly for the kinds of uses where someone just wants to draw and not even type in any coordinates - the type in stuff is available if you need it but doesn't overwhelm the UI.

What's the point of having the "Specify next point" text floating around next to your mouse when you're drawing a curve like that, anyway? Surely there isn't any confusion that you are picking the next point in the curve...

The other thing is that kind of inputs floating around with the mouse mechanism is kind of limited to pretty simple input types because trying to put something like 5 or 6 controls floating around there would make it really bad - so it can't quite "scale up" very naturally for situations where additional options or inputs could be useful...

I can see how you could like it if you are more often drawing lines and arcs by entering in numeric input though. But to me that comes with some pretty negative side effects for the "just drawing and looking at shape" type workflow, and it just doesn't make very much sense when you're drawing freeform curves.

- Michael

EDITED: 20 May 2011 by MICHAEL GIBSON

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4247.47 In reply to 4247.46 
"I can see how you could like it if you are more often drawing lines and arcs by entering in numeric input though."

That's exactly why I like it. I am more of mechanical guy and not very artsy with free-flowing stuff. <shrug> Really abstract things start to make my head spin. :-)

Windows 7 x64, Precision T3400, Intel C2Q @ 3 GHz
8 GB RAM, ATi Radeon HD 3870

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4247.48 In reply to 4247.47 
Hi Nick, so I guess the thing is that mechanical lines 'n arcs type stuff is already handled so well by MCAD programs (SolidWorks, SolidEdge, Alibre, etc...) that it just didn't make sense to me to make MoI to be in exactly the same mold as those so to speak...

MoI is trying to be more of a hybrid between CAD and 2D illustration sorta.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
The free deformation of a side line volume and direct fillets is some astonished.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4247.50 In reply to 4247.49 
Yeah I like the handle you can grab for doing fillets.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4247.51 In reply to 4247.50 
I really like the gizmo for adding draft while doing extrudes and the hole tool is pretty darn cool.

@Michael - ha, yeah I guess that makes sense. I Like MoI for really quick concepts that don't require the precision/changeability I get with Alibre plus it's fun :-)

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
I've tried this for some hours.
I think that 123D is not so intuitive compare to MOI, but it has somewhat good features like 'Edit edge'
Anyway it's very interesting to use a new application. :-)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
http://forum.123dapp.com/123d/topics/engine_render from Support 123D !
[quote]on of the next releases will include a photo realistic real time renderer using HDRi. [/quote]
by Thomas Heermann Product Manager ADSK
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Tried importing simple STEP and SAT files into 123D. Crashed each time.

I've already uninstalled it.

I'll stick with MoI and ViaCAD.

Michael T.
Michael Tuttle a.k.a. mictu http://www.coroflot.com/DesignsByTuttle
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4247.55 In reply to 4247.51 
""""""""" I Like MoI for really quick concepts that don't require the precision/changeability""""""""""

Changeability would fit here as Alibre has parametric capabilities, But Precision??? MoI makes precise models easily without compromise... I dont think precision is an issue..
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4247.56 In reply to 4247.55 
"MoI makes precise models easily without compromise... I dont think precision is an issue.."

Let me just point you here:

http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4247.57 In reply to 4247.56 
Hey Nick,
Your link only points to the root forum??? Maybe check the link if you intended to post to something specific.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4247.58 In reply to 4247.56 
Hi Nick, to get a link to a specific message, right-click on the link that shows up in the upper-right corner of the message body, like the one here will say 4247.58 - if you right-click that link and do "copy link location" that will get you a link to bring up that message thread starting at that message number.

If you just grab the address from the main address bar that won't work because of how the forum works as a frameset - it's kind of a collection of a few different sub frames.

- Michael

EDITED: 21 May 2011 by MICHAEL GIBSON

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4247.59 In reply to 4247.20 
:-| Well, don't I look stupid now.

http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=4215.2

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4247.60 In reply to 4247.59 
SO you point to a thread where Michael states that someones operation in a model looks like a bug??

Then he gives some explanation of how to get MoI's geometry library to succeed the apparent bug by doing some scaling on the model to complete the operation, then continue on...

The discussion of the internal tolerance settings of MoI is some insight to the process. Some of the commands that do iteration to complete using adaptive tolerances are creating less dense, unwanted heavy geometry.. But it does not mean that The created model is not accurate..

WHat you pointed to was a situation where the command on the model couldnt handle the request at hand due to some possible bug hitting some of the internal workings of MoI, with a solution provided...

This doesnt mean that your 5 inch line may be 4.99 inches long....
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-20  21-40  41-60  61-80  81-100  101-107