trim/boolean/extrude command with curves
All  1-13  14-19

Previous
Next
4228.14 In reply to 4228.13 
< looking curve poking out from them, but that is just a display artifact.
< They actually are

If after the automatic Sweep I make a zoom the "end" (snap point of the path) and middle of the rectangle writed "Center" are different.
Shown by my little green part image above (the x of the "center" was very blury)
Do you mean they are same? If yes that is perfect for me! Very cool! :)
I will made my line array curve from the end of path and not from the center of rectangle for more security

< then why do you care where the middle is?
for start to move from a known position
But with your last comment there is no more problem, i take just an odd array curve and I have the middle ;)

EDITED: 29 Apr 2011 by PILOU

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4228.15 In reply to 4228.14 
Hi Pilou,

> If after the automatic Sweep I make a zoom the "end"
> (snap point of the path) and middle of the rectangle
> writed "Center" are different.

It looks like in your example you don't have a simple only 4-sided rectangle at the end of your sweep because you're morphing from a rectangle to a pentagon in the sweep, so that causes some of the resulting edges to be made up of various segments instead of just 4 sides.

The center snap will not be very meaningful on that kind of multi-segmented result face, the way center snap works on a face is if the face is bounded by line segments it takes the centroid of those line segments for the center snap. It's not very meaningful on a multi-segmented result with some small lines mixed in with longer lines like you've got there, you should just ignore the center snap in your particular case with that odd geometry.

> for start to move from a known position

If that known position is not the position you want, then why do you care where it is?

At any rate, place a point object and then use Array curve to replicate it the point (use item count = 3) to position a point object at the middle point of the curve. That will allow you to snap on to that location.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4228.16 In reply to 4228.15 
< you don't have a simple only 4-sided rectangle
is that i had remarked my rectangle was multi segmented but thinking that had no incidence of its center!

<If that known position is not the position you want, then why do you care where it is?
it's alway good to know the middle of something ;)

< The center snap will not be very meaningful
I was affraid because i had made my array curve from the center and not from the end of the path so result was significant at the extremities for some function
Now I will take the end of path :)
Thx for the help and explanation!

Line both sides + array cuve line + Project lines are very funny for obtain numerous profils without effort from any volum!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Talking about mixing commands, I think you could merge the plane and network commands to just one button, that new command could identify the result you expect based on the selection. Just a suggestion.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4228.18 In reply to 4228.17 
Hi ed,

> I think you could merge the plane and network commands
> to just one button, that new command could identify the result
> you expect based on the selection. Just a suggestion.

Possibly... But actually those 2 commands will currently produce slightly different output when given some of the same kinds of inputs. Like if you have a 4-sided boundary like this:

The Planar command will build a trimmed plane surface for that, while Network will make an untrimmed surface. You'll see the difference if you turn on surface control points for each of those results.

Also the Planar command actually does already have some multi use built into it currently - you can also use it to fill in planar openings on a surface object in addition to building a trimmed plane through a planar set of curves.

In the future I have to figure out where to put another kind of surfacing command called "N-sided patch", and I've been trying to think of how it might be combined with one of these as well.

But it can be a bit tricky to combine things when there are 2 different results possible from the same inputs...

- Michael
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
I understand, and i like the work youve done so far, then keep going!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-13  14-19