Simple object selection issue - annoying to find an answer to!
All  1-3  4-8

Previous
Next
4213.4 In reply to 4213.1 
Hi FDP,

> When I select an object with the left mouse and move
> it with grid snap turned on, my selection starts at the
> point on the object where the mouse is positioned.

Yup, this is intentional - this makes it possible to do things like move the endpoint of some line to snap it on to the grid, like this:

If you want to move things only over in grid increments, instead of actually snapping the object on to the grid as shown above, then use the Transform > Move command instead of dragging. The Move command allows you to pick a specific base point that does not have to be on the object, so you can grab the base point on the grid, like this:

You can also use the Transform > Align command if you want to center an object at some particular point.

> Also, can I move objects using the mouse arrow keys?
> This is a nice feature to have...

You can get this by installing the plugin tijai links to above - there are some instructions there on how to copy the nudge command over and how to set up shortcut keys for the arrows to call that nudge command.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4213.5 In reply to 4213.4 
Thanks everybody for all the fast & helpful responses!

tijai, I think I meant something like "left mouse select, arrow keys", but my mind is clearly in an addled state by Friday :)

Michael, thanks so much for making and supporting this awesome piece of software!

-FDP
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4213.6 In reply to 4213.5 
Just an update, I have to take back any (mild) frustration I had about the way that MoI nudges users towards relying on the graphical snapping system as opposed to edge-default or manually-specified snapping. The UI ergonomics are really fantastic! I particularly love how much I can rely on the 3D view alone for modelling and not have to spend as much time in 4-panel for design work. I usually only do this when dealing with animation material.

The only things I really wish were in MoI are a node-visualizer/editor for the scene-graph (along with individual node histories) and Python scripting.

-FDP
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4213.7 In reply to 4213.6 
"""""""""""The only things I really wish were in MoI are a node-visualizer/editor for the scene-graph (along with individual node histories) and Python scripting.""""""""""

I think Dave was working a scripting interface that would allow you to use python and such.. Dont know where he was left with it.. See this thread for a description:

http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=3341.1
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
4213.8 In reply to 4213.6 
Hi FDP, I'm glad that you're liking MoI!

Thanks,
- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-3  4-8