About Selection with only browser
 1-20  21-25

Previous
Next
4194.21 In reply to 4194.12 
Hi Pilou, so here's an updated script for assigning random colors:

script: /* Assign random styles to solids */ var styles = moi.geometryDatabase.getObjectStyles(); var breps = moi.geometryDatabase.getObjects().getBReps(); for ( var i = 0; i < breps.length; ++i ) { var brep = breps.item(i); var style_index = Math.floor(Math.random() * styles.length); brep.styleIndex = style_index; }

This script also assigns the style to the parent object instead of only to sub-object edges and faces like the previous one that I sent you by PM - if you use this script instead of the previous one to assign the colors then it won't have the tricky behavior with the invert selection.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4194.22 In reply to 4194.21 
Ok! Now that works in 3 steps with the last new script! ;)
Right click on the eye's Cube
Shift + Click on the Color text Label
Right Click on the Hide Button

Thanks for all this swinging selection!
All seems now working fine! :)

THX also to Mr Bur, and DannyT for add some test variations :)

PS So maybe a good thing to put also an Hide / Show and Inverse selection buttons (icone) inside the Browser for avoid to accoss the screen with the Graphic Pen /mouse?

EDITED: 17 Apr 2011 by PILOU

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4194.23 In reply to 4194.22 
Hi Pilou,

> PS So maybe a good thing to put also an Hide / Show
> and Inverse selection buttons (icone) inside the Browser
> for avoid to accoss the screen with the Graphic Pen /mouse?

Well, adding a lot of extra buttons to the scene browser will have a bad side effect of making its basic existing functions more difficult to use - too many buttons just makes things more difficult to manage and to see what is going on.

The browser actually already does do hide/show functions, by clicking on the eye icon on any browser item. But that also targets that browser item's category. Like for Style = red, it is focused on hiding and showing the items that have been assigned Style = red, which is pretty simple to figure out.

The other controls for Edit > Hide use the current selection instead of a predefined category like the scene browser.

One thing that's nice about MoI's system is that you can use these different pieces in combination with one another (like hide/show by category inside the scene browser, or hide/show by selection using Edit > Hide).

Having them in slightly different areas of the screen actually helps keep things well organized and easier to understand.

If the scene browser had a bunch of additional controls within a single item that were not actually related to that particular item (which seems to be what you are asking for), that would probably be confusing for someone to try and figure out.

So it's kind of tricky - trying to optimize everything for not moving the mouse very far is not very helpful if it causes a UI that has too many not strongly related things just jumbled together...

In the future I would like to add a kind of "filter" mechanism which I think would simplify this particular task that you were asking about though.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4194.24 In reply to 4194.22 
Hi Pilou, also you can avoid moving the mouse all the way across the screen by switching the Scene browser position back to its default value of "Adjacent" - that will make it show up right next to the side pane instead of on the opposite side of the screen from it.

For that setting, go to Options > General > "Scene browser position" = Adjacent.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
4194.25 In reply to 4194.24 
Yes, that is also possible ;)

EDITED: 18 Apr 2011 by PILOU