Text size for printing or milling
All  1-2  3-10

Previous
Next
4166.3 In reply to 4166.1 
Hi Dave,

Hopefully I may be able to answer some of your questions as I also use MoI for doing jewellery designs.

With regards Fonts, I usually try sticking to a Sans Serif type like Arial if at all possible.
Obviously this is going to be more dependant on what your customer is after, but if you can, steer them that way.
If you're forced into using a Serif font, try using one where the serifs curve back into the main sections.
The plumper & more rounded the serifs are, the better off you'll be.

When working with text, your best strategy is to always turn the Points on & check if there's any sections that the Curve crosses over itself.
More often than not, you'll have to delete Points to tidy up things or use the Rebuild script option.
You'll very quickly find there's certain fonts you'll never want to use because of the work involved repairing them.
Make a note of what works & you'll then find you have a short list of fonts that you'll mainly use & thus have very few issues with.

With regards to milling, I try to make my larger text to be no more than 0.4mm in depth, small text no more than 0.3mm (0.25mm is fine)
I don't really design much work that requires printing, but I'd still use a similar strategy if required.

Fonts with thin sections are quite often an issue when used as a raised text, less so when they're recessed.
This of course will depend on their overall size, depth-height & font style.
You'll find your main issues are going to be with small text of say about 2mm height or smaller.
The centres of "A, a, B, b, P, p, R" will potentially be either milled away, break loose or wont be milled at all.

Also be aware you still need to have Rhino to do certain types of operations like "Flow Along Surface" as MoI doesn't have this option yet.

HTH, Colin
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4166.4 In reply to 4166.3 
Colin
So the the font size I've used in the picture of the model which is about .7 mm would probably not work. Which would be okay because the customer said they would prefer I went with less text and just use Acronyms kinda like

CWG
'07 & '11

Some how I get the feeling they aren't going to like the text being larger, even if less of it. lol
Dave
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4166.5 In reply to 4166.3 
Hi Colin, there's also a different forum that you're at where there's a bunch of discussions on CAD/CAM for jewelry, right? What's the address for that forum again?

Dave, that might also be a good place to browse over a lot of jewelry-specific discussions.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4166.6 In reply to 4166.2 
Paolo
I hadn't thought about lazer engraving. The most lazer engraving I've seen has been on newer stock coming where the companies have used it to inscribe the karat and logo. The problem I'm finding with them is they aren't very deep and I have to watch not to polish them out after sizing. I went to the link you posted and had a look at the outside lazer work. Are the designs fairly deep, will it last for a few years at least and can it be done on an irregular shoulder shape?
Dave

EDITED: 3 Apr 2011 by DS_WHITE

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4166.7 In reply to 4166.6 
Hi dave,

To be onest i do not have really any experience with lazer engraving but,
i gave you an example just using a search/engine.

The reason i responded to your question is that i have had some bad experience on
making really small details,using a Perfactory® Mini Multi Lens rapid prototyping machine.
This system uses a Ultraviolet lamp to solidify a photo sensitive resin.

For example when the space inside a font is small then the borders will be overexposed,
and to much resin will solidify leaving a poor result.

Maybe the following machine will do for you:
http://www.artisancnc.com/

I found it on this forum:
http://forum.artcam.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5743

Good luck,

EDITED: 3 Apr 2011 by PAOLOLOBBIA

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4166.8 In reply to 4166.5 
Hi Michael,

Sorry, I did mean to add that into my original post, but got side tracked & forgot.

http://3dcadjewelry.com/forum/

Dave, go to the above site & join, you'll find lots of help from Jewellers that are using various software, mills & printers.
Also I'm a Moderator there.

regards Colin
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4166.9 In reply to 4166.8 
Thanks Paolo so far I've only involved myself with mastering designing and left the prototyping milling to an outside source. Now I see there are obstacles in both procedures to contend with.

Colin, I have to both.

Thanks
Dave
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
4166.10 In reply to 4166.9 
Hi Dave,

Here's some other threads that should prove useful to you as a Jeweller that's using MoI.

Being that you're creating jewellery designs with MoI & also have access to Matrix, you might like the Template files I've created.
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=2731.1

There's also the Circle Curve modification & the Ring Size Script that Michael modified to work better for us Jewellers.
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=4134.1

Plus there's the Text command that I've modified to make it more Jeweller friendly.
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=3498.1

HTH, Colin

EDITED: 6 Apr 2011 by MICHAEL GIBSON

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-2  3-10