Displayed dimensions not showing thousandths of an inch

Next
Hi,

Please see the attached image.

Basically, when I move the cursor from the 0 line (Y) to the right along the X axis, the units traversed display at the bottom of the screen doesn't show thousandths or hundredths of an inch, just tenths, i.e., the display shows 0, 0.1, 0.2 etc and not 0, 0.001, 0.002 etc or even 0. 0.01, 0.02 and so on. I would have expected the display to update as you moved the cursor.

The reason is that it's useful to see the cursor position in real time as you move the cursor around. Or is it that the display can only show resolutions to hundredths of an inch?

kind regards,
Mark.

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4124.2 In reply to 4124.1 
Hi Mark, that's because you've got grid snap enabled.

You probably have set the grid snap size to 0.1, is that correct?

That display at the bottom is trying to show you what coordinates would be used if you were to place a point in a drawing command at that mouse cursor location, like when you are going to draw a line it will show the coordinates that the line's endpoint will be placed at. So if you have grid snap enabled, the grid snap is applied to the coordinates that you see there.

Does it behave like you wanted if you disable grid snap?

Note that you can also hold down the Alt key to temporarily disable grid snap just for a moment, so if you want to leave grid snap on you can hold down Alt and then move the mouse around and you should see thousandths displayed just while Alt is down.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4124.3 In reply to 4124.2 
ehhh... I'm a dunce! Many thanks for the quicko response Michael.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
4124.4 In reply to 4124.3 
No problem Mark, I'm just glad that you included the screenshot where I could see the grid snap button was enabled. If I hadn't of seen that I would have probably been pretty mystified by what you were describing! :)

Anyway, this gave me a good spot to mention the Alt key trick which you might find useful in other situations as well.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All