Feature suggestions
 1-20  …  121-140  141-160  161-180  181-200  201-214

Previous
Next
412.161 In reply to 412.157 

First image "Moi" smoothing
Second image Global Phong smoothing

Real time engine = low poly
infos given by original Moi's normal help to simulate a virtual smoothing by light's modification and not physicaly by polygon :)

in case of "wrong normal orientation" global Phong don't enough sufficed : if low angle for have good straight edges but lost smooth on curves (and defauts of ngon topology or triangles)
if hight angles straight edges are "smoothed" !
So "circle's squaring" if inverse normal is not making in moi ;)
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
412.162 In reply to 412.133 
Hi Pilou, earlier you wrote:

> another complaint :)
> Seems Moi export to OBJ all objects even "hidden" objects !
> Is that normal?

I looked at this, and I could not find any problem. MoI seems to be already skipping hidden objects as you would expect.

To test, I drew 3 spheres, then hid one sphere. Then I did a SaveAs and saved as an OBJ file.

Then loading the OBJ file into Cinema4D, only the 2 visible spheres are present, the hidden sphere is not there.

Are there any steps that he can give to produce the problem?

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
412.163 In reply to 412.162 

< "hidden" objects
asked to Steph

---
Pilou
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
412.164 In reply to 412.162 
Hi Michael
answer of Steph
That was in the past in old version beta so maybe you have resolve the hidden problem at this date!
So if your test works (3 spheres + 1 hidden -->2 spheres) that's all is good !:)
---
Pilou
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
412.165 In reply to 412.164 
Many bugs have been fixed since old beta versions! :)

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Michael, a feature request

1. When you select a set of objects could an area select repeated of part of them( say a set of planar faces just select included faces), and then if repeated give you edges.

One select gives included solids
Two selects gives included faces
Three selects gives included edges

It can be tedious to select a lot of planar faces to chamfer!

regards Tim.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
412.167 In reply to 412.166 
Hi Tim,

> One select gives included solids
> Two selects gives included faces
> Three selects gives included edges

Hi Tim, there is actually a way to target faces with an area selection right now. You need to first "prime the pump" by selecting at least one face with a click.

Once you have selected one face, that object will be in face selection mode, which means that any further selections on it (either clicks, or area selects, or even invert or select all) will target faces.

If you want to area select some faces that are hard to click on, one trick you can use is to do the initial face selection on just the biggest one that is easiest to grab. Then that sets the selection mode for that object, so you can do further area selections to target the faces you are really interested in. Once you are done with that, click on that big face once more to deselect it.

The same thing works with edges - if you want to target edges, select one edge first with a drill-in click and then you can area select further ones.

I think there would be some complications to change things to work the way you are describing above, if I understand you correctly. The biggest one would be that sometimes you may want to do more than one area selection to get all the faces that you want. If it worked like you describe, you would be limited to only doing one single area select to get your faces because the next area select would switch to grab edges instead of grabbing more faces...

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next

1) Some kind of grouping function, so groups of disjoint figures can be aligned with each other. Say centering chunks of 3D text relative to other items. As it stands now, trying to blocks of figures relative to other blocks causes some of them to be moved to the alignment point, instead of preserving their relative offsets.

2) A way to align or distribute a group of objects along a curve ( like 3d text ).

As a side not, it seems to be impossible to project text outlines onto a cylinder using "Closest Point". Direction works fine

EDITED: 30 Apr 2007 by CRUSOE

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
What about "patch" ?
---
Pilou
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Dear Michael,
is V1 going to have the feature that by clicking the corner of each viewport, it will maximize that viewport,
without going down the screen to the menu and clicking the individual viewport button?
It will save time...
Thank you for MOI,
Best,
Rudy
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
412.171 In reply to 412.169 
Hi Pilou, I tried to do Patch, but the one currently in the geometry library that I'm using did not work very well. I was originally going to have a "Patch" item under construct, with Network, Coons, and N-Sided patch under there.

However, Patch wasn't working well, and then I figured out how to combine Network and Coons into one single command.

Hopefully with a geometry library update I will be able to do an ok Patch command for V2.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
412.172 In reply to 412.171 
Thx for precision because someone ask me that :)
---
Pilou
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
412.173 In reply to 412.170 
Hi Rudy,

> is V1 going to have the feature that by clicking the corner of each viewport,
> it will maximize that viewport, without going down the screen to the menu and
> clicking the individual viewport button?
> It will save time...

Hi Rudy, I wasn't planning on doing this for the 1.0 version, maybe for a future version though.

I didn't want to initially rely on that type of method for maximizing viewports, because it is bothersome when you want to switch between 2 maximized views, like for instance switching from top maximized to front maximized. If I relied on clicking in the corners for maximizing or returning to split views, going between those 2 maximized views involves an extra step since you have to return to the split view first. With the view buttons on the bottom you can always go to any maximized view with just one click.

If you want to really quickly switch between different viewports, you may find it useful to set up a keyboard shortcut for that, it is possible to set up a keystroke to maximize the view that is currently under the mouse pointer, see this message for some details: http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=568.21, let me know if you need any help setting that up.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
412.174 In reply to 412.173 
Thank you as usual...
Rudy
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Message 412.175 deleted 6 May 2007 by DRYRIVER

Previous
Next

Hello Michael,

I discovered Moi recently and would like to contribute some workflow suggestions to what looks like a really nice modeler in the making. Here goes:

- Curve Physics. This assigns dynamics properties like elasticity and rigidity to curves, allowing the designer to interactively twist and bend curves much like you can bend a car antenna, a sheet of soft polymer or a rubber hose. With some collision detection and a tolerance parameter this could also allow a curve to be bent and coiled around another curve or solid interactively.

- Repeating Structure Tool. This would help create structures like honeycomb patterns or more organic patterns where one design element is repeated again and again but the arrangement isn't as simple as an X by Z grid. A lot of possibilities here in my opinion.

- Drill and Stamp tools. A shortcut for drilling holes of a given diameter or shape through an object, or using a boolean object as an additive/subtractive stamp.

- Flow Erode. A function that has an effect on objects similar to rocks becoming eroded and rounded by flowing water. Could be useful for giving designs a more rounded, streamlined or aerodynamic look.Could be coupled to curve physics to make it more than a simple "round my object" feature.

- Fit Analyzer. A function that helps to spot problems with interlocking objects. Particularly useful would be the ability to define joints like hinge or ball socket between two objects and have the fit analyzer display the degree of freedom each has before parts of the objects lock or grind against each other.

Hope some of this proves useful. Looking forward to the next beta.

- d

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
412.177 In reply to 412.176 
Hi Dryriver, thanks for the feedback!

Some of those items will be quite difficult to achieve, so it will probably be difficult to find enough time to devote to those anytime soon, those will have to be longer range type ideas.

One exception:

> - Drill and Stamp tools. A shortcut for drilling holes of a given diameter or
> shape through an object, or using a boolean object as an additive/subtractive
> stamp.

There is some support for this in the current version - it is possible to do a boolean operation on a solid using just a curve as the cutting object.

So for instance if you have a solid object and you want to cut a circular hole in it, draw a circle curve of the desired radius and placement of your hole, and then select the solid, run Construct / Boolean / Difference, and select the circle as the cutting object. This will bore a hole with the profile of your circle through the solid object.

You can do some other similar interactions as well, like draw a line that divides the object in 2 parts from one particular view, then do Boolean Difference and use the line as a cutter - this will slice the solid into 2 solids using the line as a cutting tool.

This type of curve/solid interaction also works with Boolean Intersection and also Boolean Merge.

Boolean Merge is kind of like a stamping tool in that it cuts objects up but leaves all the pieces behind.

So for instance if you have a sphere and then a circle in front of it, if you select them both and run Boolean Merge, the circle will become imprinted on the sphere and leave all the parts behind, unlike Boolean Difference that removes material inside closed regions.

Thanks for the feedback and ideas!

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Michael,

I've found in the past that thinking about how to implement complex 'advanced' features sometimes spits out elegant little methods for solving totally different things. =) So take those suggestions with a grain of salt.

The Repeating Structure Tool idea isn't as frivolous as it sounds by the way. Repeating triangle, diamond, hex or other shaped structures can be very handy for making parts lightweight yet structurally strong, or achieving the desired balance between rigidity and flexibility in parts made of materials like soft plastic or rubber.

I've attached a quick and dirty visualization of what such a tool might do. The pattern shown is simple but the skeletal view gives a clue as to how more complex 'live' structures could be constructed and manipulated by the user.

best,

-d
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
412.179 In reply to 412.178 
Sure pattern are some crazzy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penrose_tiling
---
Pilou
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Easy Selection (edge loop selection(?)
---
Pilou
My Gallery

EDITED: 7 May 2007 by PILOU

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-20  …  101-120  121-140  141-160  161-180  181-200  201-214