mooi3d and win7

Next
Hello, maybe someone here may be able to help me. I have a dual core, 2.6Ghz, 4Gb ram computer. It has been upgraded from vista home to win7 home. Ok for the problem, moi3d runs on my office pc (vista business), but will not even try to open on the computer mentioned above. I have uninstalled, reinstalled, download the no save version, sent email to support. Still will not open. Yes I have installed as administrator, and updated video drivers.

Does anyone have a recommendation or suggestion? I want to purchase moi3d but if I can not get it to run on my personal computer I will not waste my money.

Than you
Eddie
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4113.2 In reply to 4113.1 
Hi Eddie, is anything displayed at all when you try to start up MoI like an error message of any kind?

After you try to launch it, does MoI.exe show up in the task manager list, or is it not present there at all?

Can you look in both the folder where MoI was installed and also your temp folder for any files named moi_report1.zip, moi_report2.zip and if there are any present please e-mail them to me at moi@moi3d.com so I can take a look at them. Those are crash dump files that are supposed to be created if something goes wrong and MoI crashes.

Also are you running any kind of anti-virus or anti-spyware type software? If so try temporarily disabling that to see if that is interfering with MoI's operation somehow.

Is there any other kind of low level system hooking software that you're running on your home machine, like something to change the appearance of Windows or anything of that nature? If so then also try temporarily disabling that to see that makes any difference.

MoI is dependent on some components of Internet Explorer in order to run, and if something has happened to mangle parts of your computer's system registry it can potentially mess up MoI's ability to run. It can be possible to fix that up by doing a reset of IE settings. There's a reset button under the system Control Panel > Internet Options > Advanced tab, as shown in this blog post:
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/06/12/628499.aspx

Let me know if none of the above helps and I'll try to see what else I can come up with. But it's probably either some conflict with some other installed software, or something messed up in your system registry that messes up the hosting mechanism for Internet Explorer components.

If you can find any crash dump files and send them to me that could give me a better idea of what might be going wrong.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4113.3 In reply to 4113.2 
"MoI is dependent on some components of Internet Explorer in order to run, and if something has happened to mangle parts of your computer's system registry it can potentially mess up MoI's ability to run."

There is an option in Win7 to disable/"not install" IE. Some IE haters (not that Eddie is one) might do that.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4113.4 In reply to 4113.3 
Hi Nick

> There is an option in Win7 to disable/"not install" IE.
> Some IE haters (not that Eddie is one) might do that.

That particular thing actually shouldn't impact MoI because it only means the full web browser iexplore.exe is not installed but all the supporting component parts still are.

Otherwise a whole lot of other stuff would stop working, like parts of the Media Player, .chm help files, etc... - there are a lot of programs that uses some of the component pieces of IE to display HTML content within parts of their program.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4113.5 In reply to 4113.2 
Michael, hello and thanks for replying.

When I click on MIO3d, the cursor turns to a circle as it should. then it goes away. Nothing else comes up, no error message, and nothing in task manager.
I did find the report file and have emailed it to you.

Have reinstalled ie 8, since I am an MCP i use IE mostly, but also use firefox, have to stay current on both to help customers.

I just reset IE restore advanced and reset including personal setting. Same condition, as before (see report 16 in email)

thanks

Eddie
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4113.6 In reply to 4113.2 
I should also mention, before upgrading to Windows 7, I run a factory reset, resetting everything back to original conditions.

computer is an HP laptop dv9000 win7 64B

Software I run are
Office pro 2007
adobe dreamweaver 8, fireworks 8
ftp
Silo 3D
Adobe acrobat reader 8 standard edition
Photoshop CS5
Paintshop pro 6
paintnet

Nothing out of the ordinary.

Eddie
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4113.7 In reply to 4113.6 
Michael, did you get the email I sent with the report files attached?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4113.8 In reply to 4113.7 
Hi Ed, I did get your e-mail - I also sent you a reply back with a link to a special debug build that I set up for you.

If you could please give that debug build a try and send me back the crash dump that it generates, it will probably help me because it will have some more detailed information captured in it. I examined the other ones that you sent and they don't quite have enough information for me to figure things out very well, but the build that I sent to you should solve that I hope.

Can you please check in your Junk or Spam mail filter to see if my e-mail reply is in there? I will also resend it.

Thanks,
- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4113.9 In reply to 4113.7 
Hi Eddie, actually it was 2 e-mail replies that I sent to you, I've resent them. If you don't receive them please let me know here and I'll send them using this forum's private messaging system instead.

Possibly something is deciding my e-mails are spam and they're not getting through to you...

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4113.10 In reply to 4113.9 
Thanks Michael, for some reason I am not receiving them. i sent another email with 3 email addresses for me.

no spam filters except OL07 junk email and that is empty.

So guess if you will post it here I will let you know when I have downloaded the debug. then send you the results.

hope we find a solution, have been using MoI Trial on my office pc and really like it.

Eddie
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4113.11 In reply to 4113.10 
Hi Eddie - I've sent you a private message using the forum, you can read it using the "Inbox" link in the top toolbar in the forum.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
4113.12 In reply to 4113.1 
So we managed to figure this out over several tests over e-mail - the problem was something related to DEP (Data Execution Prevention) settings being mangled somehow on Eddie's home machine. One symptom of this was that the system dialog for controlling DEP options was all grayed out instead of having its regular options.

If DEP gets configured in some particular way it can prevent MoI from working - something like if ATL thunk emulation being disabled, as mentioned here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb736299%28VS.85%29.aspx

Once we figured out it was related to DEP Eddie then figured out how to get things working - doing a
bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOn
and then a
bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx optin
followed by a system reboot got the system DEP settings unmangled and the system DEP options dialog working again, and MoI ran fine after that.

I just wanted to post this here in case anyone else runs into a similar problem with MoI not running on their system. If nothing happens when you try to launch MoI and system dialog for DEP settings is all grayed out you can try the above process.

Thanks Eddie for your help in debugging it and for figuring out the solution!

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All