LightWave 10 Vertex Normals Inverted

Next
Hi Michael

Just been testing MOI3D v2 with LightWave 10.

Seems even when selecting the 'LightWave' vertex normal option in Export Options, they are displayed and rendered incorrectly in LightWave 10.

They appear to be inverted. Oddly, selecting the modo vertex normal option is actually correct. Can this be fixed for LightWave 10 please!

Regards
Matt Gorner
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4109.2 In reply to 4109.1 
Hi Matt, hmmm it sounds like NewTek finally realized that they were reading in vertex normals differently than Modo and changed things to be the same as Modo. If I remember right the difference was that Modo wanted them in right-hand coordinates while LightWave 9.6 wanted them in left handed coordinates.

That is kind of an annoying thing to flip around though, it would be kind of nice if they would stick with one system instead of changing it around between releases.

> Can this be fixed for LightWave 10 please!

If I understood what you wrote correctly, it sounded like using the Modo setting for vertex normals fixed it up for you? Is there something else that is needed aside from that to make it work right now?

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4109.3 In reply to 4109.2 
I would think that's a problem for Newtek to fix especially if it works okay in v9.6.

Sure Michael could perhaps add an "invert normals" switch but that's extra work to cover NT's butt and if they correct the problem, then that's wasted time on Michael's behalf...

-Will
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
4109.4 In reply to 4109.2 
Done some more testing.

With the LightWave Normal export, when I bring the LWO into LightWave the entire Vertex Normal map needs flipping on all axis to look and render correctly.

With the modo Normal export, when I bring the LWO into LightWave the Z axis on the Vertex Normal map needs flipping to look and render correctly.

So, as it stands, none of the options import pefectly without some extra work in LightWave.

Regards
Matt
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
4109.5 In reply to 4109.4 
Hi Matt, so that sounds pretty weird that they just switched the vertex normal coordinates to something else entirely instead of switching it to be compatible with Modo.

Have you contacted NewTek support about this problem? Is there possibly a setting somewhere in LW10 that would make it read vertex normals the same as LW9.6 ?

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All